Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorseal Classic vs Anchorseal2

Anchorseal Classic vs Anchorseal2

I am about to buy a 5 gal pail of one or the other. Which is best and why is Anchorseal2 Chaeper?

CPeter

Buy the original. Not sure why it's cheaper only that from what I read it doesn't work nearly as well.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Our Club has bought 55 gallon barrels of each in the past. More people prefer the Original formula myself included. The newer eco-friendly version is thinner and doesn't seem to seal as good. Some people I know buy the new formula just to feel good about being eco-friendly but tell me they will use 2 to 3 coats of it instead of just 1 coat they used with the Original formula.
    I've always had less cracking problems & better success with the original.

I picked up a gallon of the Anchorseal 2 at Woodcraft this week as that is all they have. The original is better from all reports I have heard, but not always available. The 2 must fall in the same category as the E85 gasoline coming.

Another vote for original recipe.

After suffering through 2 gallons of the Anchorseal 2, I was soooo glad to have run out and order a 5 gallon bucket of the original formula. For me, #2 never worked well at all. I lost a bunch of wood stock to this stuff. My experience with the original was excellent.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I know the wax works but dipping 20" bowl blanks is tough and Anchorseal goes on easy.

CPeter

If it helps Craft Supplies has Artisan woodsealer for 19.90$. It is the same as the Anchorseal #1.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    If it helps Craft Supplies has Artisan woodsealer for 19.90$. It is the same as the Anchorseal #1.
    Is that the same stuff that they used to sell as Green Wood Sealer? Works very well, if so.

10. yep.......original anchorseal all the way for me! Green nuts mess up everything!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Where is the source for version 1? I've only used 2. It seems to work well enough, but I'd like to try the original.

http://www.uccoatings.com/WebStore/AnchorSealClassic

all my regular sources only have the "2"

The last 5 gal. I ordered was the original formula. I had 5 gal. of the #2 and didn't see any difference but all the negative comments made me order the original. I'm just a whimp.
    Fred

Buy it straight from the company! That is where I just bought 5 gallons of the original stuff (and whoopie, it is still as good as I remember!). Just google UC Coatings and go to their site. It was super easy to order what I wanted. If memory serves me it was $104 shipped to me in KS.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Just got 5 gal. for $106.00 of the original, local place wants $40.00/gal. so a really good deal from the company. Never have even tried 2.

That was shipped to Lincoln, NE.