Thread: Harrison articulated hollowing system

Harrison articulated hollowing system

Opinions sought from anyone who has used this system.

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/s...lowing-system/

Looks to be well-built at a reasonable price point. Also ... any opinions about the quality of the cutters he offers?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Tarnoff View Post
    Opinions sought from anyone who has used this system.

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/s...lowing-system/

Looks to be well-built at a reasonable price point. Also ... any opinions about the quality of the cutters he offers?

Larry
    Never seen this product before, but the price is indeed reasonable. Don't particularly like the mounting, the screw is pretty small, but could be fixed later. On larger turnings, that becomes a point of vibration. Vibration is bad. Additionally, I Would like one more to the size of the ways of the bed to allow for it to slide when engaged instead of riding under the bed. Not saying it is bad, but coming up with individual plates for each lathe makes it more difficult to machine.
    Would like to know what size hollowers it takes. Looks to be 5/8" which is fine up to about 6-8". While you can put a longer length bar in it, it is still a 5/8" mount. So for longer lengths you are stuck to his bar.
    Not a problem really, just physics.
    Depends on what size you want to do now vs what size you want to do later. I have probably 3 or 4 hollowing rigs depending on the form. Articulated rigs work well for most, but lack in flat tops where you need acute angles to get under the rim and top.
    That said, there is no one that does them all, especially at this price. If it has some kind of guarantee, say 30 days, then as a try and buy, it would be a good deal. The design isn't wholly original, Elbo and Monster have nearly identical designs.
    Monster has the same sort of bed attachment.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

Thanks, Steve. I believe Kerry Harrison said that the system accommodates tools with 1/2 inch tangs, of which he offers a set. One of his tools comes with either a 12-inch or 16-inch bar, yielding about 13 inches of cutting depth for the longer tool. Will the 1/2 inch tang result in chatter or vibration when reaching out at the max? Intuitively, I understand that beefier is better ... but should this be a deal breaker?

Larry

I made one about a year or two ago that looks like it's been copied hear ( not saying he copied mine ) They look allot a like and allot like the Monster,I put picture on here when it was done.All my picture are on my other computer that bit the dust.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

With such small pins at the swivel, I can see slop developing.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-26-2014 at 5:31 AM.