Thread: Tiling a Bathroom.

Tiling a Bathroom.

Thinking of replacing the toilet in the Bathroom , along with the Vanity. Don't like those new low water toilets at ALL!!, but, what can you do. That is what they sell. Want to ripe out the cheap white paneling on the wall behind the toilet and on the wall directly to the right of the toilet , where the toilet paper hold is located. On the wall behind the Vanity, just under the medicine cabinet, that part of the bathroom wall was tiled with a nice tan / red sandstone tile. I was thinking of putting in some green board or cement board where the cheap paneling is around the toilet and then tiling that section with the same color tile.

Would this look ok ?

Pictures would help, but it sounds like you're attempting to tie the room together with the same tile. Green/cement board isn't necessary unless you expect that wall to get wet. Are you removing the paneling and stripping the the framework? Unless you want a return edge, you'll need to do so (in most cases). Again, pictures would be very helpful.

As for the toilet... just remember to hold the handle down a second longer!
    -Lud

I did exactly this a few months ago. It looks great and easier to clean. We used white subway tiles about 8-12" above the sink, also put it a horizontal band of smaller glass colored tiles which adds some visual appeal. Wrapped around into the shower/bath as well.
    Very pleased with how it looks.
    good luck!

RE: the toilet - I had a Kohler and another brand toilet that drove me nuts. I bought a Toto and never looked back. Absolutely fantastic. A bit more expensive but worth every penny (and I'm really cheap!)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Pictures would help, but it sounds like you're attempting to tie the room together with the same tile. Green/cement board isn't necessary unless you expect that wall to get wet. Are you removing the paneling and stripping the the framework? Unless you want a return edge, you'll need to do so (in most cases). Again, pictures would be very helpful.

As for the toilet... just remember to hold the handle down a second longer!
    I agree that cement or green board isn't necessary as mentioned. But you still need to make sure your substrate (what you will attach the tile to) is solid and doesn't flex. Tile is pretty heavy and needs a really solid surface under it.