Thread: EZ Track Sys and Makita 5007MGA Circ Saw

EZ Track Sys and Makita 5007MGA Circ Saw

OK, a two part discussion.

First regarding the EZ track system. I have read numerous threads on this subject, and the majority were from 6-8 years ago. I would really lie to stick to the EZ system if we can.

1) On one of the reviews, there was a statement regarding sideways travel in the base slot. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-System-Review It seems this would kinda defeat the purpose of the track and it would damage the edge guard. Is this still a problem? If so, is it anymore play then other systems?

2) There could be problems with 90 deg cuts. I assume this is based on the quality of the saw being used. Has anyone really found this to be a problem?

Second part. I need a new circular saw. Any comments on the Makita 5007MGA? I would use this in conjunction with the EZ sys.

Thanks

I have the EZ track saw and have no complaints. I have no sideways travel in the base slot and no issues with the 90 deg cuts. I have the original base but I know there is a new base now. I have one but bought it in case I need to replace the circ saw I have mounted to the base, it is an old saw and makes some bearing noise when shutting it down so I got prepared.

Again I have no complaints about the EZ track saw.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have the EZ track saw and have no complaints. I have no sideways travel in the base slot and no issues with the 90 deg cuts. I have the original base but I know there is a new base now. I have one but bought it in case I need to replace the circ saw I have mounted to the base, it is an old saw and makes some bearing noise when shutting it down so I got prepared.

Again I have no complaints about the EZ track saw.

George

I agree. I use my track a lot and never have noticed side to side slop. Would buy it all again in a second. I use the Makita 5007MGA and it works exactly as it should.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

The essential step in this is attaching the adapter plate to the base of your saw.

That needs to be done with screws that go into the sawplate (self tapping) or through the sawplate (with nylon insert nuts and spring washers).
    It's fiddly, and can't be rushed. You're looking for the sawblade to run parallel to the guide, or in toward the guide to keep it tight to the fence.

The new universal plate makes this alignment MUCH easier, but it's not peel and stick.

The Makita saw is terrific, and reasonably priced.
    I use a Porter Cable magnesium body saw and it works well for this application.

The way to make cuts perpendicular to the face your guide rides is to support the workpiece from below.

If you're working with sheet goods, some weight in the middle of the panel will help it resist flex.
    The EZOne table is designed to clamp the panel down flat for this reason.

In practice, I put a large piece of rigid insulation board under the panel I wish to cut.
    That really helps keep things flat and reduces chip out on the bottom of the panel.

I do not use the EZ Smart guide to rip, crosscut or size dimensional lumber - I'm no help to you there.

FWIW - If you have not yet purchased your saw, it may be worthwhile to compare the all in one systems that are for sale.
    The integration of a track guide to the sawplate is the trickiest part of this - having one that's already set is worth a little more money.

The Dewalt, Mafell and Festool systems are well received.

Mark

I've owned the EZ rails for awhile now,a nd have never encountered the saw moving sideways on the track.
    As for the 90 degree question;
    Do you mean the edge is 90 degrees to the face, or that a perfect 90 is cross cut?
    The 90 degree edge to face is going to be pretty dependent on the saw and blade. If it's a crosscut, it's up to the user. I can split a pencil line with my EZ rail. If you can mark a perfect 90, you can cut one.
    One drawback to the system is the loss of blade depth cut due to the thickness of the rail and the baseplate itself. My Makita 7 1/4" saw will not cut completely through a 2x4. It lacks a couple 32nds. I have an 8 1/2" Milwaukee for construction lumber.
    FWIW, I also have a Festool TS 75 and rails, but I still wouldn't get rid of my EZ system. The Festool has a much deeper depth of cut simply because of the thickness of the rail and the baseplate of the saw itself.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I too have used EZ for many years. I currently use a Hilti 267E and Makita 5008MGA on the track (I would suggest the 5008 for the additional cut depth). I did have a 5007MGA and like others didn't have any saw problems but I recall on the EZ forum some did. Again, based on my aging memory I think users added an additional washer (nylon?) to the front pivot pin to solve the issue.

Look here: linky

Mike

I've used the EZ Smart track system for several years now with none of the concerns you mention (side motion or 90 degree cut problems). I use a Hitachi C7BMR 7.25" saw that came pre-attached to the base by the EZ folks. They also add a dust collection feature that I really like a lot. Cutting through a 2-by board at full depth leaves a veeery thin uncut bit of wood that I can easily cut off and clean with a knife.

The Makita 5008MGA 8.25 saw is typically recommended to allow clean cuts through 2-by wood. I would have bought that at the beginning had I known, but so far the 7.25" saw has done me fine.

I use the EZ Smart Table - 2'x3' plywood table on folding banquet table legs with sliding sacrificial 1x6's on top - that easily supports a full 4x8 sheet of plywood. I really REALLY like it. Unfortunately the EZ folks don't seem to sell the Smart Table kits anymore.

By the way, I used the tracks last weekend with my brother - first time he'd seen it. We were cutting pre-finished 3/4" plywood and 2-by boards. My brother really liked it. I have to admit that when doing "community" woodworking projects I bring along the EZ gear thinking that the others will think its kinda dorky ... but every time the tracks (and EZ square) turn out the be the real workhorse of the projects - saving time and improving accuracy. A LOT easier - and safer - than trying to drag sheets through a table saw!!

Thanks for the posts guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    The Makita 5008MGA 8.25 saw is typically recommended to allow clean cuts through 2-by wood. I would have bought that at the beginning had I known, but so far the 7.25" saw has done me fine.
    Any recommendations on 8.25 saw blades? Will mainly use for ply and trimming doors.