Thread: new air compressor

Smile new air compressor

Hi,
    My old portable compressor finally died so I need to replace it. I will only use it for inflating car tires and blowing dust off projects prior to finishing, maybe a small brad nailer to pin things until the glue sets (like Norm), etc. At some point in the future, I might want to try spray finishing, but don't have any thoughts for anything beyond that. Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on proper sizing and recommended manufacturers.
    Thanks, in advance.
    Merle
    Thanks,
    Merle

Hi Merle.

In my mind there are two types of air compressors, Ingersoll Rand and others.

Take a look at www.northerntool.com, they have a good selection of IR compressors, ranging from 3 hp up to 30. Check the IR model SS3L3. IR is having a "free shipping" offer currently.

Good Luck.
    Best Regards, Ken

air

I bought a compressor from an owner of a small wood shop that was retiring. Bought a sanborn 20 gallon 3 horse oiler that looked brand new for $100. Plenty of air to operate nailers, air tires and push an hvlp conversion gun. Added a filter and outboard regulator for spraying. Have had no problems with the unit in 5 years of ownership. Sanborn was bought out (by coleman?). Since I really don't put a heavy demand on this unit the quality of an IR might be wasted on me. I'm happy with my "other" brand.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

I bought a DeWalt

I bought a DeWalt D55153 2 HP 4 Gallon Electric Twin Stack Compressor for $299 free shipping from Amazon. I like it, it's a bit quieter than the oil less ones and I figure it'll last longer.

I had a 17AMP Sanborn that finally started leaking from the tank, rusted through after only 20 years.

The DeWalt takes up a whole lot less space, but it sure does cycle on and off a lot. Light enough to cary to wherever I am so that's good. Made by EMGLO.

I would do it again.

Check your local lowes. They are phasing out the porter cable line of air compressors so you may have an opportunity to buy one at a steal of a price.
    Scott Stefanoski