Thread: Pipe-clamp paralles

Pipe-clamp paralles

From another forum and another topic… still I am very impressed with the following clamping setup for a number of reasons, but particularly because I am a pipe-clamp person who has from time to time thought about how to achieve a parallel clamping setup with pipes… Not that I need it, I can clamp just fine without the parallel aspect, but now I am wondering…

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...20WIP/V013.jpg

What do you think? I can’t think of any improvements other than to double the thickness of the blocks.

Blog Entries
    I've had blocks on my pipe clamps for a couple years. They don't provide anything like a parellel clamp provides. They do spread the surface tension, elevate the handles, allow more control and less tendancy to mar the material for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm a pipe clamper too. I refuse to pay the sums demanded for the more sophisticated clamps when I can simply add a couple of big C clamps to each end of a glue up and get the flatness and control I want.

But then I do this as a hobby. I can afford the time to fiddle with things.

Hi Paul

Yep, I remember that picture, I was building glass cabinet.

If you noticed, I'm not relaying on the parallelism of the clamps but also use small clamps to clamp the frame to the flat surface under and then tight strong the pipe clamps.

The set-up gives "almost Parallel", there is some deflection of the pipe especially when I press strong for gluing with Polyurethane glue.

I made these blocks mainly to elevate the clamp above the working surface for easy cranking and to keep them at the same level.

I attached a few pictures of panel gluing

Just to translate for you a few terms of the "Euro language" (approximate values)

4mm = 5/32"
    6mm = 1/4"
    8mm = 5/16"
    12mm = 1/2"
    18mm = 3/4"

niki

Nissim,

Pozdrowienia od Paula I jego polskiej zony Haliny.

It may very be that you do not speak or read Polish. I do not, so, just in case:

“Greetings from Paul and his Polish wife, Halina”.

Nissim, I remember your comments on that thread.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Your method of clamping straight, inset doors, made a lot of sense to me and, I had previously decided to use that method for upcoming inset-door kitchen… and Bookmarked that thread.

Thank you for the additional info here. This is all great advice and something I, at least can and will use.

I am used to pipes and have learned to easily place opposing pressures above and below, with a straight-edge for panel glue-ups. It is easy. Still, I can see that with the blocks as per your picture, and as mentioned by Glenn, I can only enhance my operation.

Thanks again!

Paul