Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on how to make a laminate floor less slick?

Question Any suggestions on how to make a laminate floor less slick?

Got the floor down in the shop yesterday. It's laminate I got on clearance at Lumber Liquidators for a good price. Looks great but it's too slick. Anyone have any experience making laminate safer and a bit less slippery?

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Wear stickier shoes? Basketball shoes, for instance.

If you have some leftover pieces, try sanding them with various grits. Maybe etching it with muriatic acid?? Dump soda all over it?! hahaha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Laminate flooring and sawdust don't mix well. Even rubber soled shoes will slip if there is a coating of sawdust on top of the floor. My suggestion is to keep the floor as clean as possible and don't make any sudden changes in direction.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Like Lee says.
    One suggestion I will make is to put rubber mats in front of your TS, etc. I cannot help but picture you leaning over your saw, with feet starting to slide slooowly.

Second thought....perhaps a light sanding with a floor sander to take off the gloss, but not go through the facing? You could maybe try a small area somewhere, and cover it up with a mat if it doesn't work??

Sorry to seem negative. I know this is not what you want to hear, but ..........

Rick P

What about spreading some sand around, pressing it into the surface of the floor somehow, and then vacuum up the sand?

Wayne

Blog Entries
    Pictures, man, pictures!

Slipperiness may be in the feet of the beholder, or something like that. Sawdust on smooth surfaces can be a real issue. I put a mid-priced Pergo on my basement floor, including the shop. Yes it can get slippery, but it is actually much better than I thought it would be. I usually wear sneakers in the shop, I guess that helps. No real issue here, but I do keep my floor fairly clean. Nice thing about laminate, it is very easy to sweep with a horsehair push broom, much easier than old concrete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Pictures, man, pictures!
    As requested...

Shop1_20140526_173840_zpsa7952ed4.jpg

Shop2_20140526_173700_zps039645a6.jpg

It's not quite done yet. Have to finish closing up the back wall and upper ends, then do all the trim molding. Once I bring in the rest of the machines I can put the floor mats back down and see what else I need to do to the floor. I gave it a couple of sweepings and that helped the slickness a lot. May give it one of the floor traction treatments. Will have to see.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Take some leftover sample and try different kinds of abrasives on them. Maybe cleanser or TSP might etch/dull it some? There is bound to be something out there that you might "accidentally dump" on your floor that will take away the gloss. You're actually looking to slightly damage the floor, so to speak.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We used to spray a spritz ofcontact cement on slick spots. It would add just enough grip and wasn't permanent.

I tried those foam mats on mine and they slip just as much. Tractor Supply sells rubber horse stall mats for $40 that are thick, heavy, and don't slip as long as the floor is clean when you put them down.

Picked up one of those years ago. Cut it into 3 2x4 mats. They're in storage until I get the new shop finished. Hopefully won't be long now.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

By the way, Cliff,

I do have to say, that floor sure looks good.

RP

Blog Entries
    Cliff, please get back to us again after you have had a chance to use it a while. I found that the floor works very well and isn't as bad as one would assume. I'll bet you will find you don't need to do anything other than keep it relatively swept up, which I say, is really easy to do with a smooth floor.

By the way, are you sure you have enough electrical outlets along the walls? Good looking shop my man! Wish I had half that space.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-05-2014 at 8:58 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Track shoes I have found work the best. I bought a cheap pair to wear around my shop, I too have Lumber Liquidators laminate that was fairly inexpensive, hence the choice. The track shoes with the voids and spaces on the soles and bottom, I guess, allow for the dust??