Thread: Where to buy KD Maple (or similar) turning blanks?

Where to buy KD Maple (or similar) turning blanks?

I'm in California and need to find a source for kiln dried maple stock to use for mold making plugs (the positive a silicone mold gets cast around). I want maple because it's typically been very easy to work with and sands out very smooth. The plugs get taken all the way to a mirror polished finish, so the smoother the wood, the less work in finishing. I need it in 2"x2" and 3"x3". Bigger than that I know kiln drying is not really an option, but I am hoping to find 3" because I really prefer to use solid wood instead of glue-ups. If you know of other woods that would work as well, I'd love that info too!

Edited to remove commercial link - dawned on me that might be inappropriate. PM me if you'd like the link to a commercial supplier.

2x2 and 3x3 dried maple. (wasn't sure if you're looking for a local source or just a supplier)
    Last edited by Greg A Jones; 05-27-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Links to suppliers are fine so long as the poster has no financial interest or gain.

I get maple from Bell Forest Products in Ishpeming, Michigan. They have a good online business. www.bellforestproducts.com is their website. They have a large selection of maple and many other woods.

Bell is the link I posted. Here is the specific page. Bout half way down, look for, "
    Hard Maple."

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/th.../#.U4VAGpK9KK0

Got Wood has a selection of KD blanks at the moment at a good price.

http://www.turningblanks.net/
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

You might consider poplar. 16/4 kiln-dried lumber is readily available. Poplar mills and sands easily. It has very small pores, and is less expensive than maple.

Personally, I'd just find a local lumber yard and look for soft maple off-cuts, seconds, and shorts. 'Turning blanks' will be sold at a premium, and you'll pay for the aesthetics which may not matter to you.

For 3x3 you might consider beech. Not sure how you fare out there, but we get it here for some reason and it tends too to be cheap but finishes like maple.

I had great service and Maple products from Choice Woods (http://www.choice-woods.com). But the business was sold and I have not seen any promotional emails in months from the new owners. Website appears to be down....I'm thinking it's probably been that way for a while.

Like Prashun said, you should be able to find a local hard wood store that carries 8/4 and 12/4 maple. The eastern hard maple/sugar maple is fairly common. You won't find it at the big box type places, but there should be some near by.

robo hippy

If the 2” & 3” dimensions are actual requirements then you will have to get rough sawn. The last 12/4 surfaced Maple I purchased was < 2 7/8” thick. Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana, Ganahl Lumber in Anaheim and Reel Lumber in Anaheim would be my choice, in that order. If you only want a short length, they will cut it, if a minimum of 6’ or so left. I have heard of other lumber yards in the LA area being mentioned, but not familiar with them.

North Woods Figured out of Oregon. Great people and they support the AAW. They'll be at the symposium next month too.

You might consider some laminated stock since the appearance other than smooth finish is not a factor. That would get you kiln dried material.