Thread: How to get a large machine delivery

How to get a large machine delivery

Hello,
    I am about to purchase a clicker press, it's about 4 feet x 4 feet and wighs in at 1 ton. The company said that the trucking company can only take it as far as their docks and then I would need to pick it up since I need it at a residential address. Are there local delivery companies out there that can load up a pallet with 1 ton or so and deliver it into a garage? Is that something that needs a pallet truck, or just a pallet jack?
    Thanks!

You can always get a rigging company to deliver it if all else fails.

I took a 1 ton machine off a trailer a couple of weeks ago with a pallet jack. I broke my ramp in half. It was made of 2x6s and I'd rolled half-ton machines on it before. Depending on the machine's center of gravity, using a ramp can be a little scary, but I haven't dropped a machine yet. I also have an engine crane but it is kind of awkward to get something off a trailer with it due to the limited travel of the arm... it works better lifting stuff off the ground. A gantry hoist is the better solution I think. You can rent one.

I don't have space to keep a trailer so I rent them, but 1 ton is real heavy to put on a rental trailer so for this move I put an ad on Craigslist and found a guy to help me do it for a reasonable price. You can hire somebody with a liftgate truck (make sure the lift is rated for over a ton) to help you. You'll still need a pallet jack. They are very useful tool so you might as well acquire one if you're getting into real industrial machinery.

Pallet Jack will move 1 ton.

I have bought a few machinery and used a local cartage company, any cartage company with pallet truck can do this easily provided the machine is accessible with a pallet truck/mover. Sometimes the machine is on a wooden pallet and it will be tricky to get it off the pallet onto ground. I had to do this a few weeks ago woh a mortiser that weighs half a ton. I bought meself an engine crane for the job. Was going to hire a crane but decided I will need the crane in future.

What's the machine worth?

Have you ever moved something like this, before?
    Cheap insurance - hiring someone that has.

The trucking company most likely offers liftgate delivery service. Find out who they are using and call them directly to inquire.

If you want to do it yourself, (i.e. cheapest method), you can rent a box truck with a 1 ton lift gate and pallet jack and get it done. That's how I've moved most of my machinery. It will be dock height to load at the terminal, and you drop it to the ground with the lift gate at home. Hopefully your garage is fairly easy access to back the truck, drop the pallet, and roll right into the garage.

good luck,
    JeffD

Thanks for the tips! For this first move I will probably get a liftgate service. Then I wont be in an awkward situation at the docks. Maybe the next move can be done with a rental liftgate.
    Thanks