Thread: Edge banding with hot hide glue?

Edge banding with hot hide glue?

I do most of my edgebanding with a Brandt edgebander,but sometimes if I have a curved piece,or just a small amount,so I use an iron on edgeband.I must say,I have never felt good about the bond quality of these pre glued edgebands,so I am thinking maybe hot hide glue would be a good option.I was wondering if anyone here has done much edgebanding (with veneer) using hot hide glue,and if anyone has any advise to give.Also,I was thinking a stronger gram weight,like 350gr might be best,so it with tack quicker,and not require as much working?I have plenty of 192gr for flat veneering,but I wouldn't mind getting something stronger for this purpose if it would be beneficial.Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

All the curved pieces I've had to edge band were done with pre-glued banding from WilsonArt. Though it was a major PITA, the glue held up fine. The key for me was getting the surface as smooth as possible. Most times I end up cutting those radii with a band or jig saw and it requires a little extra TLC on prep work. I never had enough parts to justify building a jig for a flush trim bit.
    -Lud

Have you tried the Fastcap stuff? I've used it on two kitchens and I"m really happy with it. Quite a bit of what I used was PVC since they had a color that matched the prefinished ply I used perfectly, but also a decent amount of unfinished wood. I've also used the tape to make a veneer patch to fix a misplaced screw during an install recently. Their adhesive is really strong and an instant bond with no heat.

A couple weekends ago I did a hammer veneering class at Marc Adams school. Edgebanding with hot hide glue was one of the processes we did. Worked fine. You'll want an iron for reheating the veneer/glue before you hammer it down (DON'T use your wife's. Get one from Goodwill). The gram strength the instructor reccommended was around 200-210 gram and he said 192 was ok as well.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski