Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw rookie - my choices

table saw rookie - my choices

Hey guys,

I am in the market finally for a new table saw. I have narrowed down my choices but have never used any of them so kinda in the dark about pros/cons even with reading tons of reviews. Here are my uses and needs to take into consideration.

Uses - avid hobbiest, by no means a professional so budget is a consideration (plus im upgrading other tools as well). I probably wont be slicing alot of sheet goods although having the ability is a plus.
    Needs -Everything in my shop is mobile, so i if it doesnt have wheels it will lol (so thats a wash), would like it to be able to make blade/dado changes quick and simple, easy (relatively) leveling/squaring, and decent dust collection (i do have a dust collector).

Ive been looking at the Ridgid http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...6?N=5yc1vZc29i

Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P

Craftsman http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...&blockType=G11

Delta http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010...%3Ddelta%2Bsaw

Im leaning toward the Grizzly hybrid only because it seems more substantial of a saw (table and cabinet), has 220 power (if that is an advantage at all) and I have a Grizzly bandsaw i love and have had great experiences with them although its more $$ than the others and im not sure this being a hybrid has a true advantage over the other choices. The new Delta saw that Lowes now carries looks decent but the reviews are few since its a newer model carried by them. Ive heard/read nothing but good about the Ridgid saw and leary of the Craftsman only because (in my mind at least) most the Craftsman stuff ive encountered or have owned isnt the craftsman stuff my dad had of the 80's- early 90's, it seems cheaply made nowadays (but cant speak for that saw specifically).

Would love to hear from owners about these machines. thanks in advance!! jonathan

I own the Ridgid. Wish I had the Grizzly Hybrid. The fence on the Ridgid disappointed me. I did not experience the most commonly posted fault, where the blade goes out of alignment as you rise it until you lower it some. Cuts OK, I find the motor a little weak. Dust collection is good. Tin extension wings all right, but not a solid addition. Hard to get or make inserts, either zero clearance or dado. Riving knife is good. Detachable blade guard is good. Price is good. Grizzly shouts "I'm a kick a55 saw", Ridgid, not so much.
    Bottom line. Ridgid is good bang for the buck, but leaves me flat. (It does match my shop vac)

Skip the Delta. Getting parts is questionable these days and sadly it's a risky buy IMHO. The Ridgid has satisfied customers but not as substantial. Don't count out the Craftsman. It's made by someone else (Steel City?) and reputed to be OK. The dust collection alone on the Grizzly makes it my choice out of the bunch. You might also look for a decent used cabinet saw.

Keep reading....the R4512, Cman 21833 (pretty much the same saws...both made by Dayton AFAIK), and even the G0715P with similar guts as the other two saws all have a long history of severe alignment issues. The problem doesn't effect every single unit, but it's plagued many saws from all of those models. The problem is that the blade shifts out of alignment when the elevation is changed....it's not really fixable on those that suffer from it. The G0715P is the more substantial saw of all of those, and Grizzly's CS is excellent, but it's a hassle to get a new saw with a severe problem that needs to be returned. They can all be decent saws if you get a good one....just be aware and be prepared to deal with it if you get a plagued unit.

The Delta has the fewest chinks in it's armor, but it's also the newest release, and the CS and parts issues with Delta are a valid concern. The biggest knock I've read about is the throat insert.....a much less severe problem to deal with than a terminal alignment issue.

The Steel City 35990, Rikon 10-201 (same as the 35990), and the CMan 22116 with granite top (different design, but also made by Steel City) are also possibilities. If you have 220v, and can find a way to spend closer to $1400, I'd give serious consideration to the Grizzly G1023RL....it's a great saw for the money, and is in a different league than any hybrid or contractor saw. Good setup and blade selection are key factors in the end performance of any saw...

You can also keep your eyes peeled for a good used saw on Craigslist....ya never know!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan sneed View Post
    Hey guys,

I am in the market finally for a new table saw. I have narrowed down my choices but have never used any of them so kinda in the dark about pros/cons even with reading tons of reviews. Here are my uses and needs to take into consideration.

Uses - avid hobbiest, by no means a professional so budget is a consideration (plus im upgrading other tools as well). I probably wont be slicing alot of sheet goods although having the ability is a plus.
    Needs -Everything in my shop is mobile, so i if it doesnt have wheels it will lol (so thats a wash), would like it to be able to make blade/dado changes quick and simple, easy (relatively) leveling/squaring, and decent dust collection (i do have a dust collector).

Ive been looking at the Ridgid http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...6?N=5yc1vZc29i

Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P

Craftsman http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...&blockType=G11

Delta http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010...%3Ddelta%2Bsaw

Im leaning toward the Grizzly hybrid only because it seems more substantial of a saw (table and cabinet), has 220 power (if that is an advantage at all) and I have a Grizzly bandsaw i love and have had great experiences with them although its more $$ than the others and im not sure this being a hybrid has a true advantage over the other choices. The new Delta saw that Lowes now carries looks decent but the reviews are few since its a newer model carried by them. Ive heard/read nothing but good about the Ridgid saw and leary of the Craftsman only because (in my mind at least) most the Craftsman stuff ive encountered or have owned isnt the craftsman stuff my dad had of the 80's- early 90's, it seems cheaply made nowadays (but cant speak for that saw specifically).

Would love to hear from owners about these machines. thanks in advance!! jonathan
    First off. Don't sell you abilities short because your doing this as a hobby. Think big. Bet you spend more on a car that will go down in value in a mater of minutes than all your tools combined. You could have a fantastic shop for half the price of an average car and it will last a life time. My Unisaw was the second saw I bought after a frustrating 10 months with a Crapsman. That was almost 30 years ago.

Griz is probably a good choice. At least 3 hp so you won't be kicking yourself when your a master hobbiest building solid wood furniture. An in good or excellent shape used saw would be my first choice because new saws these days kind suck in comparison.

Think big bite the bullet you won't regret it.

Do

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The Steel City 35990, Rikon 10-201 (same as the 35990), and the CMan 22116 with granite top
    Another very good Craftsman saw is the model #22124, one model older version of the Steel city saw mentioned, but come with a Biesemeyer fence (a very good fence)

I have the Ridgid 3650 - it's been a good saw. At 1.5 hp it bogs down a bit going through 8/4 Ash so I have to slow the feed rate down. But it makes it. I did replace the fence with an Incra TS/LS, although my stock fence was not deficient. I wanted longer rails to add a router table and decided to go with the full fence system.

However, aside from the lack of horsepower, the other annoying thing I found that I didn't realize before buying the saw is that I can't put a full dado stack (29/32) on the arbor. Best I can do is about 9/16. I have to work around that and it has been a bit of a pain when I want a 3/4" groove. Can't tell from the HD site what the available arbor length is on the 4512.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Have you considered used? For less than the price of that Grizzly, I picked up a Platinum Edition Unisaw in great shape with a 51" Biesenmeier fence and a bunch of extras, including a mobile base. I've outifitted most of my shop from Craigslist--it takes some patience, but you can really stretch a dollar...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Have you considered used? For less than the price of that Grizzly, I picked up a Platinum Edition Unisaw in great shape with a 51" Biesenmeier fence and a bunch of extras, including a mobile base. I've outifitted most of my shop from Craigslist--it takes some patience, but you can really stretch a dollar...
    This. IMO, the only new saw worth buying is a Sawstop. Otherwise, you will get a lot better saw, for a lot less money, if you buy an old American or Canadian one. No, you won't get a riving knife, but if you religiously use the guard, splitter and anti kickback pawls, you will be fine. And I agree with the other poster who advised you to think big. Figuratively and literally. Don't settle for a contractor type saw - none of them will please you like an old Unisaw, Powermatic 66, or the like. My newbie woodworker friend has bought two Unisaws in the past 6 months, one with a 1 HP bullet motor, the other with a 3 HP motor and pretty good after market fence. He paid $300, and $350, respectively. FYI, that 120V, 1 HP bullet motor is amazing.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    +1. Craigslist and also the classified section here on the creek.

The last few tools I've purchased were bought used. Pricing about half of new.

And also really, you might consider a Sawstop. I have a 10 year old Unisaw that I bought new. If something were to happen to it, I must say I'd certainly consider a Sawstop.

Good luck with it.

PHM

If you are worried about alignment issues (since some of the ones that you mentioned frequently have them) it might be an advantage to buy where you know you can return it if you are not happy with it.

I liked my Ridgid saw, but it was an older model. It lacked some basic safety features that all the new ones have so I replaced it with a Saw Stop (great saw) purchased from a WoodCraft (good return policy). I purchased the Ridgid on Craig's List. Saw some really nice saws on Craig's List from time to time.

Don't forget about things such as dust collection, but all of the models these days are likely at least decent if you do not have a contractor's model.

I have the Delta 36-725. While it definitely has its pluses and minuses, I'm pretty darn satisfied with it so far, considering the price point. As noted above, parts are a concern and I do hope that Delta gets its act together soon. Because they haven't yet, throat plates remain elusive as does a thin kerf riving knife. I've started on the path to making my own throat plates. I haven't had a problem with the saw's light weight but I haven't run any large or heavy stock over it yet.

On the plus side, I agree with other reviewers that the fence is among the best in the saw's price range. It was a snap to adjust for parallel and it locks up tight and true. I wasn't all that keen on the table-mounted trunnions but out of the box, the blade had only 0.004" of toe-in and I haven't felt a burning desire to fuss over getting it any closer.

I converted my saw to 220V and it was a relatively painless process and the only minor pain was one of my own making. I elected to replace the entire power cord rather than just the plug and because it was a beefier cord, I had to take the Dremel tool to the strain relief clip. Otherwise, it was a simple matter of removing two screws from a cover and flipping a and a switch.

I still want a SawStop but this one got me started.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

As a hybrid woodworker, I own a bandsaw as my "unpaid apprentice" to handle larger, or repetitive cuts.

Most of the things I make have pieces no larger than 40" in length.
    I breakdown sheet goods with a tracksaw.

Why go straight to a tablesaw?
    Were you trained with one, or are you just starting out?

I dislike tools that dictate my method of work, precise or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    As a hybrid woodworker, I own a bandsaw as my "unpaid apprentice" to handle larger, or repetitive cuts.

Most of the things I make have pieces no larger than 40" in length.
    I breakdown sheet goods with a tracksaw.

Why go straight to a tablesaw?
    Were you trained with one, or are you just starting out?

I dislike tools that dictate my method of work, precise or not.

I have a grizzly GO555X 14" with a riser and a Bosch 12" compound sliding miter saw and luckily ive been able to get away with alot of cuts using those 2 machines. Ive been finding myself, as i expand my knowledge of woodworking, needing/wating dado cuts for shelves and using premium plywood stuff lately. Ive been lucky to get this far without a table saw actually.

I think you'll find a TS to be very accurate, and easily leaves a glue line cut with a decent blade.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....