Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milling very thin pieces

milling very thin pieces

I routinely need to mill pieces 1/8" thick and many times even thinner. I have read numerous articles and tried numerous things all with varying degrees of crappy results.
    I have tried using a carrier board for my Dewalt DW735 planer. It usually shreds the boards even at 1/8 thick. My blades were just sharpened and I have tried both speeds.
    I have tried cutting the strips on a bandsaw a hair over thickness, then hand planing. Besides being a major chore, these are very hard to keep down on the bench. I have tried using double stick tape. However that is very hard to remove from a thin strip without breaking it.
    Has anyone been able to get a similar planer to work with pieces this thin?
    If not, what other options are there?
    Thanks!

In my experience, the best option for bringing pieces to a very thin thickness is a drum sander. Unfortunately, they're pretty spendy. I got a steal on my drum sander so I haven't had to use my Dewalt 735 for thin pieces too much. However, I just put a Shelix in it and I wonder if that may help with thin pieces at all?? I'll have to try that out.

A zero clearance plate on the table saw, a sharp blade riving knife, and a good push block should provide you the ability to rip very thin strips. I have a sliding table saw and a rip fence I can slide back ( like a Unifence). This setup makes it easy and safe, however, if you do not have the slider or a Unifence style fence, and your planer is not able to go that thin even with a auxiliary table, a drum sander is the only other tool that would provide you consistent results over numerous runs. Would be interested in other thoughts. The Band Saw is a good safe option, but the issue seems to be the final smoothing and consistency, that's what the drum sanders where designed for (veneer quality results).

I've used a planer to mill down 2-1/2" wide Ash into 1/8" thick strips without any issues. I used double face carpet tape to hold them in place. The planer was an old Ryobi 10" model which I think has a very slow feed rate. What type of wood are you milling? I wonder if the hardness of the wood is causing problems or perhaps the feed rate of the planer or a combination of both. Have you tried putting the strips through on a slight angle to achieve a shearing action?
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-28-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Ive been recently doing the michael fortune trick on the planer. Use a deck to allow the cutter head to go below 1/8, then when infeeding, bend the trailing end way up so the leading edge is pressed down by leverage. When the cutter engages after a few inches you can let go and then pull up the leading edge on the outfeed side when it emerges to exert pressure on the trailing edge downward. Clear as mud? Its in the garden chair video on fww.

You can jurry rig together a drum sander like setup with a sanding drum in the drill press and a board as a fence.

I've also cut a slot in a board and pressed thin pieces into that and used a hand plane to size them (if you put guides on the side of the plane to keep it from digging into the supporting board it works pretty well - although it gets pretty tiresome after the first 100 or so pieces )

Don't have a drum sander and they are pretty expensive, but it seems it would be useful... I just hate sanding so to spend money on one, not sure how I feel about that.
    Mac, I have tried double stick tape, but I usually wind up breaking some of the pieces while trying to free them from the tape because they are so thin.
    Prashun, I will try that.
    ryan, when I try to hand plane the thin pieces they tend to lift up and sometimes break. Also, getting a planing stop thin enough to allow clearance for the hand plane it tough. How does the board hold the thin strip still?
    Thanks

Maybe you could try sticking the sandpaper to your bench and push the stock back and forth on the paper. Use a rubber glove or masking take for friction. Good luck...

Enjoy Life...

Anthony
    I had some very good luck using thin double back tape (IIRC) made by 3M, only on the front 2" of the wood strip using a carrier board. Cutting off that 2" as it was a little under size, before use. I have Older (1983) 13" Delta planer. It was Ash and Black Walnut, wood grain direction was very important in the process. Tom

A glue-line rip blade on the TS with a zero clearance insert. Set the fence so the needed piece falls off the outside of the blade. Hand sand any tool marks. Badda bing.
    -Lud

Interesting... I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Anthony
    I had some very good luck using thin double back tape (IIRC) made by 3M, only on the front 2" of the wood strip using a carrier board. Cutting off that 2" as it was a little under size, before use. I have Older (1983) 13" Delta planer. It was Ash and Black Walnut, wood grain direction was very important in the process. Tom
    Thanks, I'll try it.

If you routinely need to make thin parts you really do need a drum sander. I paid $500 for a really nice used Delta 18x36 about 4 years ago, and I would never want to be w/o it now. I don't now if you think that is spendy or not; to me it was a great deal and the last 4 years have justified every dollar spent. You can make thin parts all day long, narrow or wide, with tolerances that can't easily be achieved any other way.

John

Are you working with hardwood or softwood? Good luck getting soft wood thinner than 1/4" with a planer. It might be that those having success making thin panels are using different wood type than you are working with.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Double tape works great for hold down on my cnc. Put down a layer of clear packing tape, then the double stick, the a layer of packing tape on the work. leave a tail sticking out on this piece, and when you want to remove the work, just pull up on this tail. Best part of this method is no residue from the carpet tape. ( use 3m, NOT Gorilla Tape!)