Thread: Saving sycamore - Vase

Saving sycamore - Vase

Some of you may remember that I had an opportunity to get some sycamore a few weeks ago for the first time. Turned out that the wood was a good bit past its prime and had some other problems as well.........one piece broke apart and hit me in the face on that one, but no damage [thankfully!]

I saw that this particular log piece had radial cracks running from the bark area to the inside where there were no cracks visible, so I decided to cut away the cracked part on the bandsaw and got a blank that was best suitable for either a tall slender hollow form or vase.............I had a request for a couple of vases, so I used it to make one.

This is classic sycamore grain from a mature tree, and it has a texture different from most woods......almost like an orange peel feel to it, but it has been well sanded with several sequences and what I have found is that the more you sand the more the grain raises because of the soft nature of sycamore compared to woods like maple and even cherry.............but it is kinda cool, if you ask me!

9.25" tall and 4.5"+ wide at the rim. It has some bug/worm tracks not visible in the pic, but they have been filled and it has some character to it..............

Comments welcome!

IMGP4119.JPG
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice vase, Roger. I really like sycamore.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Nice vase, Roger. I really like sycamore.
    thanks Duane.......I really like the grain structure in sycamore........the lacy look appeals to me. Unfortunately, I have also learned some things about sycamore that I don't like as well........I guess it is a bit of a trade-off!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!