Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I know my work is international!

Now I know my work is international!

Some of you may recall that the Kentucky Arts Council awarded me the commission to create the 2013 Kentucky Governor's Awards in the Arts. That was a great blessing by itself, financially rewarding, and a significant step forward for me professionally.

Since that time, the Governor awarded one of my works to a legislator. That piece was one of several previously sold to the Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea – by far my best venue. They commissioned me to create a base for that turning consistent with its purpose as an award.

Most recently, on behalf of the Governor's office, Travel and Tourism contacted and informed me they had purchased another piece from the Artisan Center. This time, it was for the Governor to present to Matthew Barzun, the US Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, based in London, England. The Governor would present the piece during an international trip to promote Kentucky tourism starting on May 10.

Like the other, I did not design this piece to have a base. On the prior piece, the base required space for a brass plaque, and they wanted it to have the appearance of a standard base one might see on a trophy.

This one, however, was not to have a plaque, and I was permitted artistic freedom in design. It was challenging, as I had to mentally revisit the piece and envision what I might have done differently at the time. I also had less than two weeks within which to get the piece ready. Given finishing time, that meant I needed to act in haste!

This was the piece as created in July last year.

SMC BEFORE.jpg

The finial is a "stylized" K. The wood is Padauk with an African Blackwood collar and finial. Kind of a standard "bag of sand" form, and not something one typically sees sitting on an integral base.

Fortunately, I still had on hand remnants from the same Padauk, though as one might expect, the color was substantially different. Also, I was very limited in the size of the stock I had, so the design had to accommodate the wood on hand. In order to minimize the difference in color, I "baked" the Padauk portion in the sun for a couple of days while completing the other components of the base and preparing the form for the glue up.

This is the finished piece. While the color on the base had not darkened as much, it was a close match.

US EMBASSY SMC.jpg

The Governor presented the piece to the Ambassador at a reception on May 12. Governor Steve Beshear is on the right, and the Ambassador on the left.

SMC.jpg

This is indeed an unexpected blessing and a bright spot in my relatively short turning career. In addition to the talents gifted from God, I owe most of the progress in my turning endeavors to the good folks on this forum that guided me along the way! Thanks for the encouragement and tutoring and for allowing me to share!

2. This is a super accolade to your fine craftsmanship and artistry, John! I have feelings of joy, knowing that a friend has been blessed with good fortune in his turning endeavors. Your work shines..........partly because of the thoughtful design you put into it, and partly because of the superb craftsmanship that is evident in your finished pieces.

Being able to pull off that base and have it match the previously made form, is not an easy feat...........baking the padauk in the sun to darken it, and get it where it was a fair match must have meant a lot of careful monitoring.

What wonderful pics............thanks for posting this! While you had shared this with me privately, your previous communication did not have the latest presentation picture................that Ambassador, really does not know how blessed he is to have an original JK piece!

I congratulate you on your "international debut!!!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Original and beautiful , a tough combination to get. The finial instantly reminded me of a woman dancing. Congratulation on getting an important commission .

Thumbs up

Pilgrim.....you have come a long way .......from turning a couple table legs!

Congratulations my friend! It's a well deserved honor for an artist for whom I have great respect as an artist and a person!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John, congrats! Nothing makes me happier than to see good friend advance in their turning careers - and man, have you ever advanced!!

I know there are a lot of us on the Creek that were there when you first started turning and we have followed your progress ever since. For those new members, not familiar with John's work, check out his website. You will totally enjoy it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats John and you are a great craftsman. I never get tired of seeing the wonderful pieces you show us here. Thanks for sharing your work and all the help you give us with each post you make.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Congratulations! The pedestal looks original, rather than an addition. And to think that it all started with table legs.

well deserved & truly earned
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Congrats John.

Very cool John. Congrats on the sale and recognition for your extraordinary work (even for a flat worker!)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wow! Now we can all say "we knew John, when...".

And "Bag of Sand" doesn't describe that HF nearly well enough.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

A lovely turning. Still reflect upon my visit several years back. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

We knew John before he was famous......

Congratulations. Beautiful piece.

MK