Thread: LV 99 "not so common bit set" & Grace screwdrivers?

LV 99 "not so common bit set" & Grace screwdrivers?

Item 99w86.65. $27 with free shipping. Anybody have one of these? Every time I see the ad pop up on their site, I go "man, some of that might help me out one day". What do you think?

In the archives, there are several old posts about the Grace gunsmith screwdrivers. Im thinking of buying all 3 sets - slotted, phillips and square drive. You folks who have them still like them?

Also, if I buy the Graces, the catalog says they are stained but I dont think they have a top coat of varnish/laquer/poly or oil. Did you find yourselves needing to put a finish coat on, or do you use them as-is?

(Trying hard to resist that LV BUS. Must … resist …)

Thanks folks!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

No one likes to get told no to a tool purchase

I've looked at the 99w86.65 my self in the past but always walked away since I have quite a bit of the bits already (not necessarily in bits), like the hex, philips, slotted, pozi, torx, robertson etc. The ones that is uncommon is the safety ones, and I've found a need only now and then. Mostly if a house hold appliance has to get fixed, and in that case I'd prefer a real screw driver and not a bit.

The Graces looks nice, but I'm all covered there as well with Wiha, Belzer, Bacho, so cannot offer any comments other than if you lack a good set go for it if you use the types you list.

I got a similar set at Menards for $10. Harbor Freight has them, too.

The blow-molded cases from Menards/HF are nowhere near as nice as that one pictures from LV, though.

I have all three sets and they are worth it. The tips are hardened and the slotted drivers fit the screws perfectly. I don't use the square and cross points that much but they worked as well as their slotted cousins. I did a review of them on one of my blog posts if you want to read more.

I found an older screwdriver that had a broken tip, ground it to fit the
    split nuts on my saws and cut a slot in the tip to fit.

I'm such a hamfist that I break the tips off the sets.
    I buy packs of #2 Phillips bits - those are the ones I use the most.

Nice to have variety,
    better to have the things I always use.

Thanks guys!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

So your debating ? Well, so was I. But then I missed them when they originally went on sale. LV just advertised them again (not on sale though) and I ran and got a set. Why? Our microwave, a top end panasonic, door started to give me trouble. The wife was worried we'd be growing 3rd eyes from radiation leaks etc. It became maddening. I'd have to slam the door 4-8 times hard before it "might" catch. 3 year old $250 microwave. I wasn't pleased. I went onto the net and saw this is a common problem. And a surprisingly easy fix. You just have to take the stainless outer shroud off the oven. So I try. Looks like a torx bit. I try some more. It isn't working. Tiny little screws. Then I get better magnifying glasses and see it's a torx (small) head with a hole in the center. What the heck? I'd never seen such a screw before. No way was it coming out. I drove to LV, bought the set, and sure enough, it had a variety of torx style bits with hollows in them. So, off the shroud came, followed the net instructions on the fix and 1/2 hr later , this kit saved me $250 I was very thrilled. I might not EVER use it again, but it was the only thing that saved me that day. So for around $20, I'd say get it on spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Driemel View Post
    So your debating ? Well, so was I. But then I missed them when they originally went on sale. LV just advertised them again (not on sale though) and I ran and got a set. Why? Our microwave, a top end panasonic, door started to give me trouble. The wife was worried we'd be growing 3rd eyes from radiation leaks etc. It became maddening. I'd have to slam the door 4-8 times hard before it "might" catch. 3 year old $250 microwave. I wasn't pleased. I went onto the net and saw this is a common problem. And a surprisingly easy fix. You just have to take the stainless outer shroud off the oven. So I try. Looks like a torx bit. I try some more. It isn't working. Tiny little screws. Then I get better magnifying glasses and see it's a torx (small) head with a hole in the center. What the heck? I'd never seen such a screw before. No way was it coming out. I drove to LV, bought the set, and sure enough, it had a variety of torx style bits with hollows in them. So, off the shroud came, followed the net instructions on the fix and 1/2 hr later , this kit saved me $250 I was very thrilled. I might not EVER use it again, but it was the only thing that saved me that day. So for around $20, I'd say get it on spec.
    Sorry to carry to OT further but there is a reason the torx head was that way: it is known as a "security" torx head. That is supposed to make it difficult to remove because it is not a common driver most folks will have in their tool boxes. Furthermore, I think you may wish to wave a cheap AM radio around your microwave and see if the radio pops and clicks and goes majorly static haywire now that you've removed a key component of the microwave gasketing that is supposed to keep the 2.4 GHz radiation INSIDE the cavity of the microwave...MAYBE. Anyway, you should check this or 3rd eyes may still sprout.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

And yes, get the kit...I've only used it a couple of times but VERY NICE to have such tools!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a Brownell's Magnatip master set that I'm quite fond of for more than just gunsmithing and that "not so common" set looks like a very good companion kit.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I just bought the full grace set a few months back from LV and they are absolutely awesome. I got sick of all the crappy new-age hand bit drivers I had, with bits falling out of the sockets and having to set ratchet direction, crappy handles etc. I wanted to just have a complete old fashioned set of high quality screwdrivers. The ends are really well shaped and fit screws much better than other drivers I have. Sometimes you can even click in a flat-head screw and hold it on them. I haven't used my old drivers (except in cordless drills) in months now, I always reach for these first.

Also, the flat ground grace flat-head drivers really do slip out of screw slots way, way less than any normal flat-head screwdriver. So, if you only get one set buy the flat heads. I did that and then immediately bought all the others after trying them, they are a great value at the current price.

Can't comment on the 99 piece set, I bought a HF equivalent and it is total junk with holes drilled off-center, soft bits etc, I would try LV if buying them again.