Thread: Need some help with Razortip settings

Need some help with Razortip settings

If you won one, what setting should be used most commonly? It seems that when I touch the tip to the wood, it burns the wood and then cools to the point that it won't burn anymore. If you have had this problem, what is your suggestion?
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

The setting would depending on the kind of pyrography you do. I generally don't want to scorch wood but am writing my name with a soft touch. I would use a setting between 4 and 5 on a 10 point scale. Sounds like you might be turning it up too high.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by wes murphy View Post
    If you won one, what setting should be used most commonly? It seems that when I touch the tip to the wood, it burns the wood and then cools to the point that it won't burn anymore. If you have had this problem, what is your suggestion?
    What you describe is normal.

When the unit is on but the tip is not in contact with the wood, the wire will become hotter than it would be if in contact. So, on initial contact it will burn the wood rapidly as the built up heat is used and then the burning will slow to a sustainable rate. What most folk do to rid the excess heat and prevent the initial rapid burn is to blow on the tip to cool it before making contact if the tip has been off the wood for more than a brief period.

Keep the wire clean also. Carbon bills up and can affect the performance. A small brass brush is used by many.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have the Burnmaster and it seems like the heat control is just a simple on/off thermostat. It is constantly heating up and cooling down. Hard to get consistent results.
    edit: I'm not familiar with how other burners work.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    I have the Burnmaster and it seems like the heat control is just a simple on/off thermostat. It is constantly heating up and cooling down. Hard to get consistent results.
    edit: I'm not familiar with how other burners work.
    Fred, I have the Burnmaster Eagle and it is my understanding that the heat control is a variable wattage control. I don't seem to have any problem with consistent temps. Perhaps your controller is not functioning properly.