Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different cutter designs

The only catch proof cutter I have found in 20 years of deep boring is the Woodcut cutting tip. It has an adjustable cutter limiter like a safety razor--almost never plugs up and never grabs even at 20" deep. Friends use handheld factory handles with success--I went to a homemade controlled rig which can use 5 different cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    The only catch proof cutter I have found in 20 years of deep boring is the Woodcut cutting tip. It has an adjustable cutter limiter like a safety razor--almost never plugs up and never grabs even at 20" deep. Friends use handheld factory handles with success--I went to a homemade controlled rig which can use 5 different cutters.
    Is this the cutter you're referring to? http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/se...Sec=96&xPage=1

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Rob, if you are looking for a simple system that costs very little and just works check out the one Jim Rinde has posted on WOW. It is all made from wood except the cutters. Looks really easy to make and use.
    Peter, most viewers probably are not members of WOW (World of Woodturners) and will be unable to access the site.

Michael Kellough, that is probably why you cannot find the site.

Rob
    I have the Harrison Specialty simple hollowing system and love it. Now, a couple points, I am still very new at turning and I have not completed HF's much deeper than 8 inches or so. I know there are much larger systems out there, but, for me, the investment cost vs what I will learn and get out of it was well worth it. Might want to give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Rob
    I have the Harrison Specialty simple hollowing system and love it. Now, a couple points, I am still very new at turning and I have not completed HF's much deeper than 8 inches or so. I know there are much larger systems out there, but, for me, the investment cost vs what I will learn and get out of it was well worth it. Might want to give it a look.
    I think I may just try to build one of the Lyle Jamieson setups. The plans seem simple enough and I've got a welder and a fair bit of scrap steel lying around.

A Jamison rig is easy to weld up--I recommend at least 1&1/8" dia. shafts and drill the end for 1/2" cutting tip shafts. Yes Rob--that's the one. Ps- they never seem to wear out--I keep a new one on hand but I'm still using one I installed 4 years ago. I think it's my fourth cutter in 20 years. Rob--these are easy to sharpen. I use a 4"tapered diamond round file or a rotary grinder with a stone or diamond bit. Sharpen only the inside of the hook--never the outside. The hook is very stout--I tried to break my first one 20 years ago but have yet to hurt one.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 06-03-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    A Jamison rig is easy to weld up--I recommend at least 1&1/8" dia. shafts and drill the end for 1/2" cutting tip shafts. Yes Rob--that's the one. Ps- they never seem to wear out--I keep a new one on hand but I'm still using one I installed 4 years ago. I think it's my fourth cutter in 20 years.
    How do you sharpen them? Seems like it would be difficult.

What diameter bar would you recommend for the rear rest and the rest of the rig?

Search : homemade monster : here on this site I put my drawings for the tool and cutters here.
    All was made with no welding, just tap & die's hack saw, drill press and grinder. I used aluminum but steel can be used if you have some just make to size for your lathe my is for an 18" lathe.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks Harry. When I search for this I get four hits, none of which is your drawings?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks Harry. When I search for this I get four hits, none of which is your drawings?
    They're here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...style-Hollower

Thanks Harry!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .