Thread: Half inset door hinges

Blog Entries

Half inset door hinges

I'm making this cabinet for my daughter. Cabinet 3-10-Left.JPGI need to start making the doors. The only half inset hinges I seem to find look like these with half the hardware exposed. tiny_category_399132sm.gif or tiny_category_400172-sm.jpg

Does anyone make a half inset hinge for cabinet doors that is concealed for a face frame type installation. Please provide links or photos of the installations.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Your doors will have a 3/8" lip?

Blum 170 will work for frameless,not sure they have a faceframe mount that will do it.
    You could pad out the inside cabinet wall to the frame where you mount the hinge plate.

Salice also makes one,
    Google "Salice 24964"

YOUNGDALE KNIFE HINGES are an inexpensive and very sturdy option; they require a kerf in the edge of the door and are slightly visible, visibility depends on the edge profile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bomment View Post
    Your doors will have a 3/8" lip?
    Yes, I'm planning on a 3/8 x 3/8" lip.

Blum 170 will work for frameless,not sure they have a faceframe mount that will do it.
    You could pad out the inside cabinet wall to the frame where you mount the hinge plate.
    Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't find a Blum 170 that was for a lipped door application.

Salice also makes one, Google "Salice 24964"
    That's what I'm looking for, but Salice must use rare materials when they make them to get $25-$31 per pair. I will need 8 pair so that would be $200-$248 for just hinges. That puts them a bit out of the budget for this project.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

These get you down to $20/door. http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...Inset+Cabinets

Found them here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-offset-doors

I can't find the salice version in their catalogue...or anywhere but rockler, which probably explains the price.

Any special reason you are doing the partial inset partial overlay style? Much easier would be to design the cabs with inset doors, or overlay doors, for which hinge options are many.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ...Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't find a Blum 170 that was for a lipped door application...
    Here's a link to the Blum 170 degree hinge used for a half-overlay door --- http://www.wwhardware.com/media/inst...plications.pdf The drawing is on the third page of the pdf.

I made doors with 5/8" overlap mounted to face frame for our mudroom cabinets. I just used euro hinges from Home Depot with no issues. I guess your 3/8" overlap is the only exception your'll need to accommodate for when looking at hinges, otherwise the availability of that type of hinge is straightforward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    I made doors with 5/8" overlap mounted to face frame for our mudroom cabinets. I just used euro hinges from Home Depot with no issues. I guess your 3/8" overlap is the only exception your'll need to accommodate for when looking at hinges, otherwise the availability of that type of hinge is straightforward.
    I'm not making overlay doors. I'm making a half inset door. They look like this. half Inset_Doors_JPG.jpg There is a 3/8 x 3/8 lip all the way around the door. Standard European hinges won't work for a half inset door.

The Blum 170 and the Salice 24964 hinges are too bulky to use in the cabinet I'm making.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-31-2014 at 6:16 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!