Thread: Copper Beech Bowl

Copper Beech Bowl

Copper Beech Bowl 01
    by Eric Holmquist, on Flickr

Copper Beech Bowl. When the largest Copper Beech in Connecticut finally died, some of the wood was turned over to local crafters. This if the second piece I received. Around 8" (20 cm) across. Finished with oil and polyurethane. This piece will end up in an auction in Shelton.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

2. The facets on the inside are unusual.........I would like to see a full pic of the inside..........from the pic it looks shallow, but perhaps that is not the case, but the thickness goes all the way from rim to bottom. Sort of looks like a bowl from a board type of turning......or some type of segmenting.......This is nice Eric.........more information on how you accomplished this........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The facets on the inside are unusual.........I would like to see a full pic of the inside..........from the pic it looks shallow, but perhaps that is not the case, but the thickness goes all the way from rim to bottom. Sort of looks like a bowl from a board type of turning......or some type of segmenting.......This is nice Eric.........more information on how you accomplished this........
    Thanks,

The facets are an artifact of the photo tent, it is actually smooth inside. Unfortunately, I have already handed it in to the church where the tree used to live for their auction, so I can't provide more photos.

The piece is thicker at the rim than it is on the walls, giving it an undercut rim on the inside. The walls are around 3/16 thick, as is the thinnest spot on the bottom.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Blog Entries
    Eric, this is a very nice bowl, I thought the inside had facets also till you explained it came from the photo tent. Really like the coloring and grain in this piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

5. Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holmquist View Post
    Thanks,

The facets are an artifact of the photo tent, it is actually smooth inside. Unfortunately, I have already handed it in to the church where the tree used to live for their auction, so I can't provide more photos.

The piece is thicker at the rim than it is on the walls, giving it an undercut rim on the inside. The walls are around 3/16 thick, as is the thinnest spot on the bottom.
    Thanks for the clarification, Eric.........it makes perfect sense once one sees it in the light you speak of............I should have known this because I have seen the same type reflection before on my on photo tent and a shiny surface............somehow it just didn't register when I saw yours!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice bowl and perfect finish!

your sanding & finishing is top notch
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks, I've been traveling on business so much in the last 12 months that I rarely get shop time. It was nice to get back in the shop and have some fun.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome