Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehabing some old hand planes... Is this normal?

Rehabing some old hand planes... Is this normal?

I have been trying to arrange my small basement workshop. In the organization part of this, I was placing all of my hand planes into a single large drawer in a new cabinet that I built and I realized that I had two hand planes that I acquired and they were in bad shape. One is a number 5 and one is a number 6.

• Step 1: Remove the rust. Done!
    • Step 2: Polish the back of the blades...

OK, so I started with the back of the number 5 iron, and it has a pretty large hollow on the back of the blade. After wearing out my arms trying to polish up the back of the blade I remembered that I have a spare Hock blade, so, I polished the back of that one. I will come back to the other blade later I think.

Then, I took the original chip breaker / cap iron and.... the bottom part was not square, so, if I put it on the blade, I could have the left side at the very end of the blade and the right side was 1/8" back. I pulled out a grinder and squared that up. Then, I put the chip breaker onto the blade, it touched the blade on the left and the right, but, I could see light through the middle section. I was in the process of flattening this part out when I received a phone call, so I have not finished with this yet, but, I am surprised how many things were so out of sorts with this plane.

Is this normal? I do not ever remember noticing a chip breaker this far out of square, or, for that matter, one that mated so poorly with the blade. I figure that I will rehab the existing chip breaker, and, if that works poorly, I might procure a hock chip breaker to go with the hock blade.

Sad to say, but yep. IF anyone should know about this sort of thing, it would be me.

IF you do have a beltsander handy that you can clamp upside down in a vise, then run the back of the iron on the spinning belt. But use the side of the sander, right in the middle of the platten. Put a few fingertips ON the iron, if even one fingertip says it is too hot, pull away a cool it off a bit. While it cools down, check the back for flat. Keep it up until the back is flat, THEN you can do all the "normal" things to the iron.

Chipbreakers can be a bear to get right. I usually try to get a "hollow grind" look to them, after the edge is square. I try for a knife edge at the iron. That way, when you clamp the CB to the iron, it will seal a bit better.

Blog Entries
    Is this normal?
    May not be normal but it isn't uncommon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I see you had a hollow in the back of your plane iron? That would be an asset, not a problem. It limits the amount of metal to be removed, just as like in a Japanese plane. You are only concerned with the metal just behind th eedge, that needs to be flat. Not everything further up the iron.

Other then that, I agree, there is usually quite a bit of work, but sometimes you get lucky.

It's typical. As advised above, fix the chip breaker and just flatten the very tip of the iron.

That's one of the reasons people like certain era Stanley planes, they were pretty consistently uniform and well made, and this would be abnormal for them. What are you working on? IMHO, after WW2 era stuff took a quality control dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I see you had a hollow in the back of your plane iron? That would be an asset, not a problem. It limits the amount of metal to be removed, just as like in a Japanese plane. You are only concerned with the metal just behind th eedge, that needs to be flat. Not everything further up the iron.

Other then that, I agree, there is usually quite a bit of work, but sometimes you get lucky.
    Unfortunately, the hollow on the back of the #5 blade is perpendicular to the cutting edge and it runs all the way to the plane face. On the #6 on which I am working, it is parallel to the face, but, a portion of it does run all the way to the cutting edge. Initially, that one seems to be flattening faster than the #5. Ironically, the hollow runs directly to a chip in the cutting edge, not sure if it is related.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    That's one of the reasons people like certain era Stanley planes, they were pretty consistently uniform and well made, and this would be abnormal for them. What are you working on? IMHO, after WW2 era stuff took a quality control dive.
    Neither of the planes are Stanley. I will post the brands tonight...

For flattening a vintage iron...unless it's in very good shape I will take the back to a belt sander with 120 grit, and carefully grind out any pitting and establish a general level of flatness. If there are any deep pits near the edge I will sometimes grind back the edge until that is gone. But in any case I always grind the edge a little to square it up and have a clean flat to work with for grinding the bevel later. Then I use sandpaper on a granite surface plate, starting with 60 grit, to get things dead flat. I'm only really concerned with the area right behind the edge, up to maybe 1/4" back. After 220 grit sandpaper I will move to the 1000 grit waterstone, then 5k, then 15k. Then I'll grind a 20 degree bevel on the belt sander, then sharpen at 30 degrees with the waterstones. Then it's ready to go...

You can always use the ruler trick to make a back bevel, which will be many times faster than what I described. But you'll have to sharpen using the ruler trick, every time, which for some reason doesn't appeal to me. But, I admit it would take a *lot* of sharpening sessions before the time spent fiddling with the ruler on the stone will surpass the time spent flattening the back of a typical vintage iron. Just an option to consider.

As for the chipbreaker...did you grind the chipbreaker back to make things square, or the iron? An 1/8" out of square is quite a lot, but I would bet that the blade was ground off-kilter rather than the chipbreaker, since most people never mess with the chipbreaker. And due to the way the CB is made, you only have maybe 1/16" to 1/8" of metal contact surface at the business end, so that's the limit to how far you can grind it back before you get into the "hump" of the CB, and once you do that it will never sit right on the blade. Maybe this is what a previous owner did. But I would check the blade to make sure it is square; it's more feasible to grind the blade back to square than the CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Unfortunately, the hollow on the back of the #5 blade is perpendicular to the cutting edge and it runs all the way to the plane face. On the #6 on which I am working, it is parallel to the face, but, a portion of it does run all the way to the cutting edge. Initially, that one seems to be flattening faster than the #5. Ironically, the hollow runs directly to a chip in the cutting edge, not sure if it is related.
    I've never tried this, but Paul Sellers had some blog posts/videos recently about hammering bumps and hollows out of plane blades. Might be worth trying if it's an egregious hollow, since if it runs down the length of the blade I don't even think the ruler trick would help you too much.

With the #5, I polished up my spare Hock blade and dropped it in. I set the cap iron very close to the edge of the blade, and, because I had to remove about 1/8" to square it up, the blade did not stick out far enough to take a shaving. If I had not squared up the cap iron, I could take one end very close and have the other end far away.

The cap iron does, however, sit very tightly against the blade with no visible gaps. I set the cap iron a bit further back from the edge than I normally would and I was able to take some nice shavings (between 0.003 and 0.001), but that was on a piece of nicely behaved scrap cherry that I had sitting around. I think that the plane is very usable as is, especially with the Hock blade (it is high carbon steel, it is not the A2 or O1).

Now I need to see if I can find a replacement cap iron so that I can set the end closer to the cutting edge for the times when I need or desire to do so. Well, I almost always do so. It makes a big difference from how it was having a sharp blade that is thicker and the cap iron set back (what I consider too far) works much better without the gap than when it had a huge gap in the center, even if the entire thing is set back when before only about half of it was too far back.

So, where does one find a replacement cap iron? I can probably buy a new one from Woodcraft.... Perhaps I should post first in the section where they sell stuff, but, I think that I will wait until I finish with the #6 in case I need more than just a #5 cap iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    For flattening a vintage iron...unless it's in very good shape I will take the back to a belt sander with 120 grit
    I keep thinking that I should get a belt sander :-)

You can always use the ruler trick to make a back bevel, which will be many times faster than what I described. But you'll have to sharpen using the ruler trick, every time, which for some reason doesn't appeal to me. But, I admit it would take a *lot* of sharpening sessions before the time spent fiddling with the ruler on the stone will surpass the time spent flattening the back of a typical vintage iron. Just an option to consider.
    I have used the ruler trick in the past, but, I don't favor it. I prefer to just flatten the back, add a hollow grind on my Tormek, and then I free hand it for touch-up.

As for the chipbreaker...did you grind the chipbreaker back to make things square, or the iron? An 1/8" out of square is quite a lot, but I would bet that the blade was ground off-kilter rather than the chipbreaker, since most people never mess with the chipbreaker. And due to the way the CB is made, you only have maybe 1/16" to 1/8" of metal contact surface at the business end, so that's the limit to how far you can grind it back before you get into the "hump" of the CB, and once you do that it will never sit right on the blade. Maybe this is what a previous owner did. But I would check the blade to make sure it is square; it's more feasible to grind the blade back to square than the CB.
    Oh, it was the chip breaker that was out of square. It was strange. My first thought was that it was intentional, but, it looked more like a strange casting defect. I was careful to only grind back as far as was required to get to the non square part, not that I realized that shortening the chip-breaker meant I could not push the blade out the base as far (just had not thought about how it worked). Luckily, the flat part that contacts the blade was oddly shaped as well and it left me with plenty of chip breaker touching the blade, it is just a bit further back than I would like.

I really think that this was a manufacturing defect. I think that this particular plane belonged to a now dead relative, probably a grandfather, the person who I think owned it would have had no compunction of making modifications, but, his forte was repairing and building electric motors, not working wood, so, it is more likely that he inherited it from one of his brothers who were avid wood workers.... Hmmm, but odd that they would have had such a poorly working plane if that was the case. He died so many years before I started working wood that I did not even know that he owned a plane until my Father said "hey, you want this... it has been in my basement for years".

I actually considered grinding the blade at a slight angle rather than fixing the chip breaker. I did not drop a square onto the blade since I have not finished with the back (since I had a hock blade just sitting around that fit). Might be an excuse to purchase a belt sander; every now and then something comes up where I think that a belt sander would be the perfect tool for a particular job, but, since I don't own one, I usually find some other way to do the task. Not sure where to start if I wanted to buy a belt sander. If I remember correctly, it is nice to have one that you can turn upside down and let it run so that you can do exactly what you mention. Beyond that, I have no idea on sizes or ease of use, reliability or "persnickityness".

Beltsander I use is a $40 B&D Dragster. The"D" handle onit can be rotated and locked in place. Belt is 120 grit 3x21. I run the rotation away from me. Got the sander at WALLIEWORD. Seems to be holding up.

I've bought several replacement vintage cap irons on ebay to replace some snaggle toothed pitted ones and been pleased.

Some Pictures

These are the plane blades. I am not finished with them yet. The one on the right is for the #5. Notice how that center depression goes all the way to the front of the blade. I have been running this on a diamond plate for a while. If I had known, I would have used a courser plate or just used tom course sand paper. I have not worked as long on the blade for the #6 (left).
    20140604T192935_plane_blades.jpg

The number six is labeled KK6 (Keen Kutter). I removed a bunch of rust, seems to have worked mostly...
    20140604T193048_plane_KK6.jpg 20140604T193150_plane_KK6.jpg

The number 5 is a Great Neck. This also had a bunch of rust on it. You can see a bunch of the cherry sawdust on it now.
    20140604T193245_plane_great_neck_5.jpg20140604T193306_plane_great_neck_5.jpg

The closest I can put the chip breaker is 1/16" or I cannot take a shaving because the blade will not protrude enough to take a shaving. I can a shaving that is 0.003 of an inch thick. Not sure if I can make it much thicker than that.
    20140604T193517_plane_great_neck_5.jpg