Thread: Help Identifying a Screw Head

Help Identifying a Screw Head

My daughter lives in a mobile home. Every time I go to visit I look at her cabinets and cringe. They're REALLY cheap, flimsy and falling apart. I always wanted to redo my own kitchen cabinets but wanted a little practice first. She graciously agreed to allow me to practice with hers. So I'm going to remake the upper and lower cabinets in her kitchen. Now the question:

She took apart one of her small cabinets and found them screwed to the studs with the kind of screws in the pictures. The pictured screw just had the wood behind it removed and then removed with pliers so it isn't stripped. The shape in the head is almost a figure-8. No bits I have are anything like it. The big box stores had no idea. Has anyone seen anything like these and perhaps have an idea where to get bits to remove them? There will be lots of them to get out since all of the cabinets are mounted with them.

Thanks...Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe there's info in a past thread regarding this fastener. The 3/8" drive tool I had was for working on Holley carburetors 40 years ago. It was made by Craftsman, perhaps a old tool search on eBay might unearth one. I believe Amazon has some listed.........good luck.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-01-2014 at 9:16 PM.

My first guess is you only need them out and not use them again! That said, I think if you can find a straight screwdriver bit or grind one to be the right width, you can get them out without any trouble unless they are into a lot better wood than my mobile has. Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses. Interesting concept having different screws for the mobile home. I've order a few of the Clutch Head bits so that We'll be able to remove the cabinets when the time comes.

Thanks again...Chuck