Thread: New dust collector purchase

New dust collector purchase

I am planning on purchasing a cyclone dust collector for my small shop and looking at the Grizzly G0440. I also plan on venting the collector outside. It seems a waste to have to purchase a new unit which includes a filter and then not using the filter. Does anyone sell a cyclone collector without having to purchase the filter and assy.? The Clearvue unit is just overpowered for my needs. I called Grizzly tech support and they said they only sell the complete unit, seems like they are missing a market as I am not the only one who wants to vent outdoors. What have those that do vent outside have done in this situation?

Blog Entries
    Check with Oneida.

Check with ClearVue Cyclones.

Try Penn State. They sell smaller DCs than the Clearvue you say is overpowered, and they're a smaller outfit than Grizzly so they might be interested in selling you a filterless DC.

If you're exhausting it outside, why not get a material handling impeller and forgo the cyclone/separator? If your worried about debris flying everywhere outside, build an enclosed "catch box" with a couple washable filters to allow airflow.

I took the bags off of this unit: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/W1666 Exhaust it outside and it pulls hard enough without the bags to support 2 4" ports open at the same time. I can run my planer at 25' away and my RAS @ 12' simultaneously without a problem (both 4" hoods).
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    I agree that if I could vent outside the last thing I would do is put an airflow-killing cyclone in the path. Since I have to breath my return air and want my filter to stay clean as long as possible, I use a cyclone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm planning on doing this, and venting outside:
    http://jayscustomcreations.com/2013/...ust-collector/

Maybe I'll luck out and find a cheap 2HP DC on CL with bad bags?
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    Maybe I'll luck out and find a cheap 2HP DC on CL with bad bags?
    You could throw a stick in my area and hit 2 of them. Keep an eye on machinerymax as they have 2-3hp units come up all the time in the California area. $50-100 for shipping and you're good to go.
    -Lud

Justin
    how severe is the problem of heavier dust and chips exhausted outside creating a problem for my neighbors and my shop.
    can I get away with using this unit or should I put a Thein baffle on it? What is your experience with the exhaust air on yours.

My DC is located 8-9' from the corner of my shop. It's 3' from a wall unit AC. Outside in direct line is a hill side and shrubs. Without a catch box, you can pretty much guarantee a radius of 15' for chips, minimum. There's no telling how far small dust particles go. Since you have neighbors, you'll most definitely need to build a box around the exhaust. Design something that can be insulated (for noise) and easily cleaned. 2x4 with 7/16" OSB and R11 would probably work fine and be built on the cheap.

To give you an idea of the noise factor: My shop is 40x80x16, which is connected to a 60x120x20. If my DC is running and I walk to the far end and outside (+200ft away) I can hear my DC running. Sounds like a dryer running that far away.
    -Lud

Justin
    Thanks for the info, very helpful