Thread: The perfect pairing of Vectric and AutoCAD?

The perfect pairing of Vectric and AutoCAD?

Hi,

I'm new to this CNC forum, although I've been on SMC since 2004.
    I'm starting at a new job at a millwork shop, and currently the drawing/machining setup is:
    AutoCAD LT (shop drawings)
    VCarve Pro 6.5
    FMT Patriot 4’x8’ 3-Axis CNC

I'd like to do curved doors and windows, corbels, brackets, sometimes with carved volutes.

I'm looking for advice on the relative merits of VCarve Pro and Aspire, since I have a 3-axis machine, and if having the 3D modeling tools in Aspire makes the full version of AutoCAD (with 3D) unnecessary, and I could get away with AutoCAD LT which is 2D only. We currently create all our shop drawings in AutoCAD LT and import profiles to cut into VCarve.

Thanks for any help!

Pete

One way to go would be to purchase MOI ... http://moi3d.com/ and purchase Aspire...... personally not a fan of Aspire 3D tools for serious 3D work...... I know many are.....we each have our own personal favorites. From a Cad perspective a STL file is the least changeable ( STL=mesh=Aspire/Autocad/Blender basically ... and I know you can get other results but we personally find meshes difficult to adjust if we want to tweak parts, resize, stretch only certain areas etc. ........ nurbs files MOI/Rhinoceros/FormZ and others are much more flexible in redesign work if you transfer the file to another Cad system and need to modify shapes, surfaces etc.) Blender is a free 3D file maker you might want to look at...... it will export several formats .... stl being one of them. http://www.blender.org/

Better option would be Rhinoceros and Aspire but more money....... my two cents..

Blessings,

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 06-03-2014 at 4:54 PM.

try the free trial version of Aspire and see for yourself

vcp won't generate 2.5d toolpaths you'll need something different like aspire or artcam. artcam express for $150 will toolpath 2.5d designs
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

I think you meant to say VCP won't create 3-D toolpaths. The purpose of VCP is to generate 2.5-D toolpaths.

Another option - Inventor and HSMWorks.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks guys. My last experience with CNC programming was MasterCAM in 2003!
    I'm beginning to learn VCarve Pro, and I'll probably try out the trial version of Aspire after I get a little more experience with VCP.
    -pete