Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley Shop Apron saved me

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I assure you the apron did very little.
    Not sure I agree. I think that if I place a double layer of canvas over my t-shirt and I am hit with something, it will feel very different, especially if it has any sharp edges, compared to just the t-shirt. I am guessing that compression wise it won't make much difference, but, it would certainly spread out the force. Not sure how much it would help against something larger.

Unless you have documentation that is just your opinion. You may be correct, but w/o proof you may not be, too. Chainsaw chaps stop even the largest gas powered saw. They are cloth and long fibered batting. No steel, no armor. I have to believe a heavy shop apron will stop at least some projectiles. It did in my case, twice. Whether or not I would have been injured without it is unclear, but I would guess I would have been in at least one of the instances. No one would argue you should never put yourself in a position where you might get hit, but in case it happens I'd rather have the apron on and hope it helps lessen the impact.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you are tall, you really want one, a long one. John
    Ain't that the truth. At 6'3", my junk is level with the table. I've only been hit in the butt, thanks to my highly tuned kick-back sensing ninja reflexes.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Not sure I agree. I think that if I place a double layer of canvas over my t-shirt and I am hit with something, it will feel very different, especially if it has any sharp edges, compared to just the t-shirt. I am guessing that compression wise it won't make much difference, but, it would certainly spread out the force. Not sure how much it would help against something larger.
    I had three kickbacks (though none in years, now that I have a better idea what I am doing). Two hit me square in the chest, stung and left a mark, but no big deal. An apron would have been nice, but not enough to justify wearing it.
    The third missed me, went though a wall and landed in a couch 25' away. Presumable it was about the same as the other two; the body is pretty tough.

I usually wear an apron when using the table saw. This is mostly to keep dust from packing into my clothes, but I have been hit in the apron plenty of times by debris that would have hurt if I'd only been wearing a shirt.

I've been hit by kickback at least twice. I don't think the apron would have shielded me from bruising but it might cushion a corner making a sort of poke-with-a-sharp-stick bruise that's almost a puncture.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 06-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Those aprons will soften a blow from a kickback; they diffuse the impact by spreading it out a bit. They also make it less likely to get cut. The one time I took a hit from my saw, it definitely helped. It still sucked, though. :-)
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Actually, when mine hit I sucked.

It's not a laughing matter, but I am more careful now.

Had a woodsmith apron that they offered for many years. Since woodsmith no longer offers the apron I decided to buy the Lee Valley apron. No regrets as the apron is well made and as you stated, double canvas. If it lasts as long as my woodsmith apron, it will be a bargain.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I don't have a PHD in physics or mechanical engineering, but I'd guess the heavy apron softens the direct impact and stops the edges from cutting you in some cases. Dont believe me? I don't have proof? Probably not the kind of proof that lets a seller advertise its effectiveness as such, but to suggest it had no effect is naive. Glad you came out OK. I worked at a place with 40HP gang rip saws, one sticker got loose and shot a guy through the side/buttocs, very life altering to have a 3/4" oak spear penetrate your innards. (And yes these machines have a myriad of safety devises to prevent just such an incident.) Missed the vital organs, serious muscle tissue damage, that kid will probably never be the same. When you see the potential danger these saws have its frightening. Its really important you consider exactly what you did and develop a plan to eliminate that sort of thing from your working methods. Working small parts always gives me pause. After the OSHA investigation they made all rip saw operators wear kevlar body armor chest to waist aprons, which in typical osha fashion would not have protected the operator from the injury in the way he sustained it, but it gave the inspector the warm fuzzes and all the guys who had to wear it heat rash. Still, if I were on that machine I'd be wearing it. I've considered something similar for the home shop, like this http://www.hsarmor.com/htm/Kickbackbrochure.htm, wonder if I'd actually be wearing it when danger strikes? Be safe.

Blog Entries
    If they altered the apron with a panel of kevlor or some product like it, I'd buy it. I know from experience that the double layer of canvas spread the impact force and I didn't even have a bruise.

I cannot remember having the breath knocked out of me since I was a kid, but for a moment I was stunned and breathless and a little anxious.

Regardless, I wear my shop apron when in the shop for several reasons, the perceived chest protection being one of them.

I know Lee Valley cannot comment on this, I don't expect them to. I can comment and I have.