Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a free Checkering pattern?

Anyone have a free Checkering pattern?

I engrave duck calls for a living, amongst whatever else anyone brings in. I'm trying to get a nice checkered pattern to engrave around a call. I was trying a pattern from Epilog they used for a gun stock, but it's just not looking right. Also, my pattern isn't coming around and connecting or lining up right. I'm using a steel dowel that is 5/8". Anyone help a fella out?

is a free pattern worth 6 bucks to become a contributer
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    is a free pattern worth 6 bucks to become a contributer
    6 Bucks?!

I can get 4 pigs, 3 goats, and 8 chickens for 6 Bucks!

What can I get for a slightly used old hound dog?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Um, no. I can make a 3D checker in Corel, just looking to see if anyone had some pre made ones, but never mind. Can I get some help about why my project I'm engraving is not lining up on the rotating assembly, or do I need to pay for that too?

epilog has it on their site somewhere for free....
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Ya, I've got that one.

Shane

Show us a picture of the problem along with the type of machine you're using.

Bert was simply trying to say that becoming a contributor permits you to download files among other things. You are certainly welcome to join us without becoming a contributor.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Shane,

Just to clarify, Bert Kemp wants you to become a contributor to Sawmillcreek ($6 annually) not a contributor to Bert Kemp. Or at least that is my assumption? (teasing grin at bert!!)

Shane,

Keep in mind I don't actually have a laser. But as I understand it, when you are using the rotary, it is quite tricky to get a pattern to meet. Part of it is being able to tell the system an accurate circumference for the object. If you arent spot on the pattern is never quite going to match up. Can someone correct me if that is not accurate?

To get around that, folks had suggest doing a pattern that had spacing to it, so that you were not counting on exact matches of lines.

Thoughts from folks?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

image.jpgThis is a first pass on a checker pattern that I created. I made it in Corel and then exported it as a .bmp to actually be able to use it without bogging my PC down. The pattern is overlapping and not lining up. If I try to make multiple passes, it won't do it in line with the first pass. I have the piece on a metal dowel that is 5/8", so I took that x 3.14 to get my vertical. Is that the wrong way to figure it?

It's the circumference of the part that's being engraved that needs to be calculated, in other words, multiply the diameter of that part of the work by 3.14 rather than your dowel, then make the page height and the graphic to be this size.

Ok, I wasn't sure which it needed to be. Being that it is an odd shape, how can I assure that it is level on the rotating assembly? Could that be the reason the design won't line up? Also, how can I set this up where it will engrave numerous passes and actually stay on the original design? I've got my attachment on there that clips onto the dowel.

Well we have digital calipers here, so I can get as accurate as the calipers can get it. When I input it into Corel, it always seems to round the number up. Not sure if there is a way to fix that either. It can overlap and I can just stop it before it hits, but the main problem is getting it to engrave multiple times and lining up.

Shane

I think the alignment issue is because your piece is not in a level plane. I would run blue tape around it to test before engraving.

Once you have the correct circumference you'll still have to line up each piece to be sure it is in a level plane. You might be able to work around that using various reference marks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

So just run it a few times and adjust as necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Tietz View Post
    Well we have digital calipers here, so I can get as accurate as the calipers can get it. When I input it into Corel, it always seems to round the number up. Not sure if there is a way to fix that either. It can overlap and I can just stop it before it hits, but the main problem is getting it to engrave multiple times and lining up.
    If these are handmade calls, I'm venturing to guess each one will be slightly different. I would not count on stopping the job to prevent overlap as that any slight distraction would "ruin" your efforts. Running successive jobs will prove hard [in my opinion]. If you are not doing so already, I would suggest running a rod/dowel though the call (if possible, before assembly) to ensure an even turn. Good luck, and post your results.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01