Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW death spiral?

WOW death spiral?

WOW death spiral?

The WOW forum looks like it will end in September. [Something about myfamily.com] I just tried to post a new comment in response to someone else's comment on a thread, and it would not submit it! There is some discussion already in the "news" area about this from several turners that are known to most of us.

You can still log in and see the discussion, but there is a pop up window that asks if you want to go to the old site or the new whatever?!

Looks like they will have to find a new venue to host WOW or become extinct!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just checked my email and there was a notification from myfamily.com.............they say export your files before the deadline as they are closing. Export to what?

I hope one of the other forums will be able to somehow pick this up if it is financially and technically feasible.........it would be a great loss for all those pics and threads to be lost! Folks that are more tech savy than I will have to answer that one!

I am fairly certain that Herm purchased the domain name last year and there was talk at that time to transition to a normal site. The biggest problem would be archiving the massive amount of photos AND comments that are stored there. I sure hope they are able to preserve those and keep the security aspect (to keep out the spammers and forum trolls).

Might be a good time for each one of us to archive (see cut and paste) the comments on our pieces .... if you care to look back on them later on.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Our Server Administrator here at SawMill Creek is capable of preserving/converting other forums. Aaron Koehl was the one who converted the ShopBot Forum, he preserved the structure, all of the attachments and maintained every single link that existed at the search engines.

If someone wants to talk to me about this I will be glad to listen.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-07-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Our Server Administrator here at SawMill Creek is capable of preserving/converting other forums. Aaron Koehl was the one who converted the ShopBot Forum, he preserved the structure, all of the attachments and maintained ever single link that existed at the search engines.

If someone wants to talk to me about this I will be glad to listen.

Keith............perhaps you could send a PM to Herman DeVries who runs WOW............this sounds like something he might be interested in at least talking about...........of course I don't know him personally, and cannot speak for him in any way, but some sort of solution is needed!

Perhaps Steve Schlumpf might know how to get in touch with him............worth a try!

I'm sorry for asking, but, what is WOW? I've never heard of it, but, it seems to be a site that most of you are interested in.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    I'm sorry for asking, but, what is WOW? I've never heard of it, but, it seems to be a site that most of you are interested in.
    Len
    World of Woodturners

Blog Entries
    Makes me sad I didn't get a chance to spend more time there...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Keith............perhaps you could send a PM to Herman DeVries who runs WOW............this sounds like something he might be interested in at least talking about...........of course I don't know him personally, and cannot speak for him in any way, but some sort of solution is needed!

Perhaps Steve Schlumpf might know how to get in touch with him............worth a try!
    I talked to Herman on the phone yesterday afternoon. I shared information I have that I thought would be helpful in his situation but it seems he is at the mercy of his hosting company so the forecast doesn't look good. He needs either a login with permissions to access his data and attachments or his host must provide the files so he can find someone to import all of the data into a new system or host. Either way it will require a financial investment for Herman to save the WOW Forum and I thought he said he did not have any financial support.

Herman told me that his host was not answering the phone so he didn't know what his chances are to retrieve all of his data. If it was me I would offer them money for my files rather than lose them forever.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I talked to Herman on the phone yesterday afternoon. I shared information I have that I thought would be helpful in his situation but it seems he is at the mercy of his hosting company so the forecast doesn't look good. He needs either a login with permissions to access his data and attachments or his host must provide the files so he can find someone to import all of the data into a new system or host. Either way it will require a financial investment for Herman to save the WOW Forum and I thought he said he did not have any financial support.

Herman told me that his host was not answering the phone so he didn't know what his chances are to retrieve all of his data. If it was me I would offer them money for my files rather than lose them forever.
    Thanks for the update on this Keith...........I sure hope things work out for him and the wow community............it would be a great loss if all that turning related material was lost..........a veritable treasure trove of modern woodturning!

Thanks for all you did to reach out to Herm..............who knows, maybe in time things will sort themselves out and a little cooperation from myfamily and the turning community might turn this into a great opportunity..........we can always hope!

i was just on the wow site and herm had posted a note on how to save your files.

12. Paul, how did you get on the WOW site? I've been unsuccessful in logging in. Thanks.

13. Just to update and sort of bring a conclusion to this...........Papa Herm seems to have made some decisions that will bode well for the future of wow, and in time there will be a new wow, and no doubt a much better one, as he will own the website and be able to have more controls over the features and such.

He has much work to do and much on his plate, and I admire the graciousness he has shown during what has to be trying circumstances with the sudden decision of myfamily to retire the site.........I know he and the rest of the wow family were taken by surprise, but in the end when the new site gets up and running.........it will prove to be a good thing for the turning community...........now everyone just needs some patience and Herm has instructions on the temporary site for those who want to copy their files, so that would be advisable if you can do so.

I haven't been there but it sounds like a shame to loose. If he can get a dollar figure from the hosting company maybe some fundraising could help. Doesn't seem right that the host could keep his data from him. There are organizations that provide low cost legal advice for artists. That might be the path.

I'm glad he is going to save the site, and I hope it is in a more user friendly format. I never got around to posting over there, unfortunately. Timing was bad on my part, life gets busy sometimes . I was never impressed with the MyFamily format myself, and didn't want to spend the time to get comfortable with it. <--- my loss!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein