Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Table Tops - Phenolic vs MDF

Don't assume that phenolis is flat, despite the ads that usu say "dead flat". I bought a jessem phenolic and it was crowned 0.025". I complained and they sent another that was crowned 0.015". I plan to build a new table w mdf and a stout ash frame underneath to hopefully prevent sagging.

My top is the same with the 2 layers of mdf with formica top and no sag after 10 years.

14388034213_71d7739894_z.jpg

Honestly, I think people worry far too much about flat.

I've been using this for years, it's not flat and it just doesn't matter much:
    IMGP6831.jpg

Fancy stuff and dead flat is nice, but I'd rather get some work done.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Well I didn't hang my router on the top so I have a lot of advantages you hangers don't have. My lift is another best for router tops.

image-2697692632.jpg

Would be very hard to find a router table with a better setup and ease of use.

Besides router sag is over rated.

Don

Hey George,

Before you do all this work, try setting your current table on a pallet or whatever, and see if you like it higher. I have one that is about 40" high, and I love it. You might too. A lot easier on the back. Mine is next to the TS outfeed table and it is also nice to not have to move it as the work slides right over the outfeed table.

Rick P.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Does anybody have a phenolic router table top???

George
    I have several that I made from modern bowling alley flooring, which is solid phenolic. It's about 3/8" thick, non-flexible, really flat, and harder than a rock. It was given to me as scrap left over from the redoing of a local bowling alley. It comes with a nice fake woodgrain finish on the top, but I can't imagine anything that would work better.

I've had 2 Jessem phenolic tops and both sagged. My router in on a Jessem lift attached to the top.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON