Thread: Warped Posts - Possible To Unwarp?

Warped Posts - Possible To Unwarp?

Hi, I have a deck swing that was quickly put together when the deck was made. I would like to fix it up so it looks nicer. The posts are 2 4x4's bolted together and set into the ground. And the beam is 2 2x6's nailed together. The posts were set into the ground before the concrete footings were poured. As shown in the picture there is some splitting and warping with the frame.

Is there anything I can do straighten out the posts? If so, once they're straight, what can I put over these posts to improve the appearance? Or would I need to remove them. Either way, I am looking for suggestions on what materials to use and how to do this. Thank you.

A couple of questions-

Does the posts twist when you sit/swing on the bench ? Like is it solid enough to leave alone ?
    Does the beam twist in the 'dado' at the top of the posts ?

If its ok to leave alone I would probably just take the beam out. The following may or may not be needed. Then add shims to the dado and recut it for the thickness of the beam. Then re-install the beam.
    After that I'd make a box that would wrap the posts, with perhaps a decorative top. You could use wood or azek all depending on the look you want. What ever you choose consider the complete look so the bench doesn't stand out as being un-attractive.

Blog Entries
    There is no restraightening this. I think it is as strong now as it will ever be. It will continue to weaken over time especially latterally. Gravity load will be the last to fail. Between the checks in the wood and the open spots in the joinery, there is just too much flex inherent in the conditions.

I would rebuild it. Use better / drier material. Dress up the outside with durable trim material. You need to keep water out of the joinery. One column would be better than doubled 2x material. I echo Michael's comments on the aesthetic considerations.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That's the problem with pressure treated. Even painted pressure treated will warp in prolonged sun exposure.
    I found this out several years ago when I replaced a cap rail on a small fence railing. It warped the screws loose in just a few years.

The best way might be to install a PVC sleeve over the post before putting it into a footing.
    Put some crushed stone in the bottom of the hole to allow for drainage, then concrete.

You certainly don't want you and your loved one crashing down one night when you're having an intimate moment on your love swing.

Thanks for the advice everybody. There doesn't seem to be much movement posts/beam while swinging on it. It's about 4.5 years old.

I was afraid I would have to rebuild it. I'm not sure how I can remove these posts because they're set in concrete about 3 feet into the ground. On top of that, I would have to remove deck boards and then then the gravel that's under the deck around the concrete pillars.

Shawn is right - cannot straighten.

You could, if you wanted to, run some 3/8" bolts through the places where the cracks are most pronounced - stop them from splitting further.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

If the thing is holding up fine strenth-wise you could always just skin it with a treated or composite box and put some nice sort of cap on the posts. You could do the same for the cross member if you want it all to match. If you go wide enough around the posts, your skin can be square and no one will ever know the junk inside looks bad. Even though the checking is severe, I really doubt the posts are insufficient for a two person swing. Because of how complicated it would be to remove/replace, the time/effort/cost to just trim the whole thing out properly is probably much less than a total redo.

Build a couple of planters on either side of the post. Plant some nice flowering vines. Paint seat to match flowers.