Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help need with replacing power supply

Help need with replacing power supply

Hey guys!

So my power supply bit the dust and I just got the new one in, and I wanted to double check how I 'think' the new unit should be wired, against someone who hopefully "knows" how is supposed to go. I know just about enough to get me into trouble so I'd like to avoid killing the new power unit with my own incompetence

DSC02599-001.JPG

Above is the old power supply still wired in. On the left it say FG AC AC. On the right it says 5v TH TL WP G IN

DSC02596-001.JPG
    Above is the new power supply.

1/ Since everything on the left is the same I assume I can just swap the wires in the order that they are?

2/ I assume that the H L P on the new supply are the same as TH TL WP respectively?

3/ And then it's just a matter of moving the old wires over to the corresponding spot of the new power supply?

Thanks!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Did you get a manual for the new PS?

Where did you purchase it from (provide link if possible)?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

No manual, I got it from lightobjects
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

I could not find your EXACT power supply on their website (which is why I asked for a link).

This is the closest I found for a "manual", there is also a PDF that you can downoad near the bottom of the page that gives some pinouts at least. Not sure if they are for *YOUR* ps or not, you've been warned =)

http://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18

Heh, it's funny your new PS has what looks like a date code of "201406052"...
    2014-JUN-05 #2 Maybe? lol

Did you pick it up in person or had it overnighted to you?
    Cause that's only 2 days ago (today being 2014-JUN-07)
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 06-07-2014 at 3:57 PM.

Robert, I think they list the day/month opposite of the USA. So that could easily be May 6,2014.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hi Robert,

Your logic is correct. You can wire the controls per your listing. We have wired many different power supplies for our customers and get this question regularly.
    Bell
    Laser
    Seattle

Variety of CO2 lasers (glass tube and metal)
    Variety of CO2 laser machines (belt & ball screw)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Robert, I think they list the day/month opposite of the USA. So that could easily be May 6,2014.

You could be right, usually YYYY-MM-DD (HH:MM:SS) is the unambiguous format (TIMESTAMP14).
    But eh, no biggy either way =)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Rawley View Post
    Your logic is correct. You can wire the controls per your listing.

I'm just surprised they didn't at least include a single sheet instruction page.

Once I saw the signal names, I thought I'd at least give the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Rawley View Post
    Hi Robert,

Your logic is correct. You can wire the controls per your listing. We have wired many different power supplies for our customers and get this question regularly.
    Thanks Allen
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Walt, the way I see it the connections on the new power supply are not the same as your old one. Look at the key on the silver label. Notice the letters H L P G IN 5V, Instead of 5v being your first connection it is last on your new supply, the other connections H/TH, L/TL, P/WP, G and in are the same order. I am far from an expert, but that is the way I see it. The AC seems to be exactly like the old one.

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

If it was me I would label each wire as I removed it and then place each labeled wire back into the desired slot. As Bruce said the connections are clearly in a different order but the pins can be matched up.

The other thing I would do is fix all that contamination that is getting into the power supply. This is probably the cause of failure. Your board should not get dirty at all. How is all that contamination getting onto the power supply and circuit board?

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Well the new power supply is in.

DSC02602-001.JPG
    And it ran fine for about 10 minutes, then the fuse at the AC power plug blew. I don't happen to have the fuse (f5al250v) that I need on hand so I need to go and get another one, however I am a bit concerned that the new power supply blew the fuse. Anyone have any thoughts / ideas of what might be up? Granted I realize it could be the fuse and won't find out till I put in a new one, but my gut's telling me there might be another issue.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Must concur with Bruce & Keith on the right-side connector. The difference between the 2 is the 5v spot is on the far left on the old supply, it's on the far right on the new supply. Otherwise identical. Left-to-right connections are identical in sequence, but you use the MIDDLE four spaces on the new supply vs the RIGHT four spaces on the old, leaving the far left and far right spaces open...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

POT control or DSP Walt?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I replaced the fuse and hit the pulse button and the laser fired.

However, the amp meter on the hit 40, I'm usually in the 20 - 25 range. Anyone have a clue on what might be going on and how to fix it?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI