Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First thought on Arkansas Stones!

Blog Entries

First thought on Arkansas Stones!

I landed 2 days ago in the US, but could not help myself giving my new Ark stones a shot at the first opportunity - a kitchen knife here needed attention badly.
    the stones I got:

8X3 soft ark from natural whetstone

8X2 hard ark from natural whestone

8X2 Dan's hard black ark new from e-bay. this one came in at 1 5\8 inch wide which was a big disappointment, it's tiny. .

The hard and soft arks are very similar. the hard is more of a finer\harder version of the soft ark, not at all a smooth hard stone like I thought it would be. it's has pores like the soft ark. the soft ark seems to be great, I really like the feel of it, and I was able to regrind a double bevel on a cheap stainless knife, if it works faster with plain carbon steel and dosen't settle in too fine, I might end up loving this stone.

The Dan's Black looks like super quality compared to the "hard" stone. it's very dark and smooth. I haven't put steel to it yet but I'm already thinking that I'd like a 8X3 version. I was wondering what the differences are between the finishing stone at Dan's website, he has 3 choices:

1. True Hard - says this is the same as a translucent but with color variations within the same stone

2. Translucent - the most expensive

3. True Hard Black - the most dense and fine, cheaper than translucent but more than the 'true hard'.

Why is the Translucent more expensive if the Black is fine and denser? do they cut better? or is it a supply and demand result?

Anyone try a 'true hard' to compare it to a 'hard black'?

I will post more when I get home and actually put them to use with some tools and see how they work and settle in. so far - I'm loving natural stones! but except fore the soft stone, seems like you get what you pay for. and you must buy from the right place.

Translucent stones are less common, thus the price. Whatever is finer (trans or black) is based on comparisons of individual stones, they are effectively similar on tools, though, when good ones are to be had. Of the dans black and trans, I found both to be about the same, though that's not what they say.

Shame that the dan's stone is 1 5/8.

The soft and hard arks from NW will settle in to a finer state to some extent, but you can always wake them up with something. They are the best new soft arkansas stones that I've found when the job of the soft is to prepare the edge for a finish stone. A lot of other softs aren't very fast.

All of the vintage softs that I've found are fast cutting and fairly coarse. I've never bought vintage soft stones on purpose, but have gotten a couple when i was trying to buy washitas.

David, I'm confused here,aren't the washitas the more "sandy"and coarse?

They might be less dense (I never measured the density of a vintage washita, but I suppose I could).

In new stones, which are not similar to the true washitas, they use the term "washita" for stones that are very low density.

In vintage stones that I've found, especially unbranded, the softs are usually a little more coarse than the washitas, at least in where they stay for day to day work. Actually, of all of the washitas that I've found, the no 1s and lilywhites tend to be a little bit more coarse than some of the unmarked stones, some of which could be used for razors without much trouble.

I did buy one of what dan's calls a washita, and it's not similar to the pike mine washitas. It's just a very low density stone that's somewhat fragile, and the pike stones are not fragile for sure.

Anyway, the orangish colored vintage softs (that sort of look like a washita) can cut very coarse and raise a fat wire edge quickly, and in the couple that I have, they don't settle in to the same level of fineness that a pike washita will.

Blog Entries
    Thanks David! I got a partial refund for the black ark so it's not a total waste, I'll get to use it and see how I like it, for about 33$ including shipping.

I'll post back about the soft Ark, I read somewhere here about someone who got one and didn't like it because it was slow, so far mine feels promising, and more capable than the 'Hard'.

I also got that piece of Jasper - it looks beautiful! but I'll wait to glue it to a piece of stable wood first.

Blog Entries
    quick update, just on the carpet with a little water on the stone - took 2 new Ashley Ils chisels one to the soft ark and one to the hard. with about a 30 degree micro bevel both created a pronounced wire edge in an instant, and the micro bevel was cut to a nice size. the hard black followed by stropping on my jeans created a wicked edge, nice!

interesting was how the burr on the hard ark seemed to hang off the edge, like a tiny bit of tin foil until in was honed off. I never saw that before.

Blog Entries
    Another update just so no one gets mislead. I am having a vary hard time doing much of any material removal with the hard and soft Arkensas, they lost their initial bite very quickly and now cut very, very slowly. they are able to remove scratches from even a 300grit diamond with decent speed, but so far they are not able to clean up the coarseness of the edge itself coming off a coarse diamond stone, so I have to use a 1000grit water stone to prep the edge first. maybe a medium\fine India stone is in order.
    I still have a lot to learn with how to use them and what they might be good for.

I am using them with window cleaner, not oil, so that might be part of the problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I am having a vary hard time doing much of any material removal with the hard and soft Arkensas, they lost their initial bite very quickly and now cut very, very slowly.
    If you want oilstones to cut quickly, you have to abrade them regularly. Not everyone agrees that this is desireable, but if you want them to cut faster, that's what you have to do.

they are able to remove scratches from even a 300grit diamond with decent speed, but so far they are not able to clean up the coarseness of the edge itself coming off a coarse diamond stone, so I have to use a 1000grit water stone to prep the edge first. maybe a medium\fine India stone is in order.
    Diamonds leave deeper scratches than oilstones, so I can see how this would be a problem. Many people who sharpen with oilstones do the initial honing on a medium or fine India. I use a fine. If I need to grind off more than that, I'll go back to the power grinder.

I am using them with window cleaner, not oil, so that might be part of the problem too.
    Well, they do call them oilstones! Your stones might be loading up prematurely. I would try oil. There are some good threads on this site about what to use.

Yep

burr on the hard ark seemed to hang off the edge, like a tiny bit of tin foil until in was honed off. I never saw that before.
    Then you have not done any significant sharpening.
    This will happen with about any fine grit stone on about an blade.

stropping on my jeans
    Don’t do that. Dubs the edge and is ok for a chisel SORT OF BUT NOT REALLY
    but will turn into a self defeating bad habit that you may fall back on for plane blades and get inferior cutting performance.

a wicked edge
    Don’t confuse an edge that FEELS sharp AND CUTS ARM HAIR with a properly set up woodworking edge.

nice!
    Nope it is an ill tested illusion

I am having a vary hard time doing much of any material removal with the hard and soft Arkansas, they lost their initial bite very quickly and now cut very, very slowly
    Aha back in the real world.

water stone
    Japanese water stone
    Samurai swords (worlds best edges and attention to how to get them)
    there is a connection here

Hard to argue with a "three body" edge. That is an edge that when wielded by a samurai cuts through THREE bodies in one swing.

Matthew,
    Do you want an edge like that ?

Can I get a amen ? !
    Do I hear a HALLELUJAH BROTHER ? !

Then bow your head . . .
    . . . over a true water stone !

Do not be tempted from the path by evil influences that will assail you from the shadows on all sides

Stay the one TRUE coarse (as it were) to salvation and properly prepared sharp tools.

Nope. Arks are just out of their depth with modern hard steels. OR for significant removal of material. Good for BURNISHING a shaving razor that has no damage back into shape but for sharpening woodworking blades you can’t beat water stones. Japanese water stones. Not rocks from the USA with water on them. The synthetic Japanese water stones that have been ENGINEERED to abrade steel especially the tougher modern steels A2 etc are superior to the natural stones.

Use the Arks for a nice paper weight and the Synthetic Japanese water stones to sharpen woodworking tools.

I have attempted (and pretty much failed) to photograph the smoothing , polishing THAT AN A2 BLADE DOES TO THE HIGH QUALITY TRANSLUCENT ARK STONE . From this point the stone is pushing the metal smoother (see the jeweler's definition of "
    burnish") but there isn't much if any metal being abraded from here on out. How do I know?
    I got out a microscope and bloody well looked for metal particles in the surface of the stone. It is easy to see without the microscope there are black streaks on the stone from O1 steel.

With A2 after it gives the stone " the polish" treatment ha, ha,

no metal swarf

nada (or as we scientists say in tech talk "nah dude, nah").
    see last photo.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-08-2014 at 7:50 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

wd40 for the finer stones would be fine. The state that the stones arrive at where they are barely cutting is, to me, the most desirable state. The objective with the stones is to work as little metal as possible when they are cutting that slow, and in terms of stuff like following diamonds, they will not do that. They cut differently, and not in a way that makes arks able to follow diamond stones unless the diamond stones are of similar fineness to the arks.

A deep cutting diamond stone will make grooves too big for the ark to remove in any practical way.

However, grinding a primary and working only the very edge with the arks (skip the diamonds) should definitely be a very practical way to use them. If the diamond stones are being used to grind the primary bevel, set the primary several degrees steeper than where you want to use the arks.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Use the Arks for a nice paper weight (sic) and the Synthetic Japanese water stones to sharpen woodworking tools.
    As I recall, you recently told someone else to use his bevel-down plane as a doorstop.
    If only bevel up planes and waterstones can be used to do quality woodworking, one would have to conclude that no woodworking of any significance was done in the West before the late 20th century.
    If an argument leads to an absurd conclusion, then the argument itself is absurd.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 06-08-2014 at 8:48 PM.

Oh one can do the same work it just takes more wasted motion to get there.
    or
    You are right I just like to cause trouble
    or
    Nah, I checked it again just now and I'm right. I have no idea how those other dudes ever got any work done . . . must have been alien intervention like the pyramids.

Take your pick. Truth is probably a mix of all.

Speaking of mixes I think that was what the problems seem to be that I adressed back in those other threads..
    wrong stone for a given blade material
    wrong blade configuration for a given wood/grain combination
    wrong choice of a quality/precision spec for an other wise usable blade configuration (BD)

Junker quality planes in a BD blade configuration with a high quality modern A2 blade sharpened on an inferior ark as oposed to a decent quality old ark. That seems to be what the majority are trying to make work.

All I have to say is what The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy has to say on the subject of alcohol drinking:
    Go to it and good luck.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-08-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: got rid of the Hickers
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Then you have not done any significant sharpening.
    This will happen with about any fine grit stone on about an blade
    That is not true. 99% of burrs I feel on the back with my finger, not see hanging forward away from the edge. I have sharpened through an entire King combo until nothing was left, before I started experimenting with other stones.

Don’t do that. Dubs the edge and is ok for a chisel SORT OF BUT NOT REALLY
    but will turn into a self defeating bad habit that you may fall back on for plane blades and get inferior cutting performance.
    Your just trying to cause trouble, If you read my post, I did that because I was in a room with only an Ark and a chisel, and I had enough free time to play with it, BTW, the
    edge was very sharp, I guess you don't know how to use Jeans like I do. . . . .

At home I stay away from stropping, don't like it, I prefer the crisp edge off a stone. but sometimes stropping is necessary like if I'm using only a single medium grit stone.

Don’t confuse an edge that FEELS sharp AND CUTS ARM HAIR with a properly set up woodworking edge.
    I'm sure you have some mystical wisdom, however if the edge gets me super fine shaving off any wood I try including Ebony, it's good enough for me.

Nope it is an ill tested illusion

Aha back in the real world.

Japanese water stone
    Samurai swords (worlds best edges and attention to how to get them)
    there is a connection here

Hard to argue with a "three body" edge. That is an edge that when wielded by a samurai cuts through THREE bodies in one swing.

Matthew,
    Do you want an edge like that ?

Can I get a amen ? !
    Do I hear a HALLELUJAH BROTHER ? !

Then bow your head . . .
    . . . over a true water stone !

Do not be tempted from the path by evil influences that will assail you from the shadows on all sides

Stay the one TRUE coarse (as it were) to salvation and properly prepared sharp tools.

Nope. Arks are just out of their depth with modern hard steels. OR for significant removal of material. Good for BURNISHING a shaving razor that has no damage back into shape but for sharpening woodworking blades you can’t beat water stones. Japanese water stones. Not rocks from the USA with water on them. The synthetic Japanese water stones that have been ENGINEERED to abrade steel especially the tougher modern steels A2 etc are superior to the natural stones.

Use the Arks for a nice paper weight and the Synthetic Japanese water stones to sharpen woodworking tools.

I have attempted (and pretty much failed) to photograph the smoothing , polishing THAT AN A2 BLADE DOES TO THE HIGH QUALITY TRANSLUCENT ARK STONE . From this point the stone is pushing the metal smoother (see the jeweler's definition of "
    burnish") but there isn't much if any metal being abraded from here on out. How do I know?
    I got out a microscope and bloody well looked for metal particles in the surface of the stone. It is easy to see without the microscope there are black streaks on the stone from O1 steel.

With A2 after it gives the stone " the polish" treatment ha, ha,

no metal swarf

nada (or as we scientists say in tech talk "nah dude, nah").
    see last photo.

I agree Water stone are way, way, way, way, way more capable than Arkensas stones. therefore, as the offender here, I will pledge my alliance to water stones by disposing of that offensive Trans Ark of yours, I shall send you a PM with an address. .................
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 06-09-2014 at 3:52 AM.

I also take donations of unwanted trans and black ark stones.

Arkansas stones are used to finish off an edge that is already sharp. They are not very good at removing material on a dull tool. They are good at removing the roughness from the previous stones and producing a polished edge. Once the edge is polished, the action of the stone slows down. Don't start off your sharpening with a polishing stone if you want to avoid frustration.

Before the advent of man made stones, rub stones and ragg stones were used to remove material and oil stones to polish off the edge. Rub stones and ragg stones were water stones of varying coarseness that were made from sandstones and schists.