I remember using the block & tackle for many projects during my childhood. Dad had it before I was born; it probably came from an auction somewhere. All of us remember it with fondness; I had to bid up to $150 to get it at dad's auction. When I got it home and moved it around to photograph it evidently a pin was missing and the shaft that holds the top pulleys in place fell out; needle bearings all over.

I asked for advice here on Sawmill Creek to make a new pin rust to match the old tackle. I ended up removing the galvanized coating with a white vinegar soak overnight then soaking the pin in urine for a little bit and hanging it to rust. I did that last Sunday morning and this morning (Sunday) the pins were nicely rusted. I only needed one but rusted three in case of error. The rope ends were in terrible shape as well; I watched some video on youtube and learned how to whip finish the ends and this morning began the process of re-assembling it.

You can see here the pulleys and needle bearings before assembly. There is no flange on the inside of the pulleys.

pulley parts.jpg

Here are the rope ends in the condition I received them.

rope ends before.jpg

I filled the hole in the pulley with grease and pushed all the bearings into it; this worked good, and I reassembled the pulleys and put the pin in. I threaded the rope through and whip finished the ends. I hung the tackle on a hook from the ceiling and hung the extra rope on the wall.

assembled.jpgrope end.jpgHanging Block & Tackle.jpg