Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

9 Jun 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    Well, I've been doing nothing except for building this addition onto my house. It's been raining so much here that I was beginning to think that I was going to have to build an under water house.!!! Most all the framing is done to keep the garage and apartment in the dry. Electrical work is going in as I get time. Plumber and roofer are getting all lined up to do their part this week (I hope). I need it to stop raining so I can trench and lay in the new electrical service as required by the power company. I have a lot to do and seems like I can't get ahead due to the rain and storms that keeps passing through here. I'll be sure to post some pics later on this week.

That's all for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Lot of stuff related to our move. Went to all the big box stores and a few local stores to check out things related to some remodeling we want to do on the house we plan to buy. Saturday I had to be home for the cable company (who never showed) to locate our pet fence and other private utilities so they can bury the fiber line which meant we also met our buyers. Really nice people and we have a lot in common. Did some more packing in the shop--I have maybe a box to go and it will be done. I need to get a small u-Haul and get one load of bulky stuff out of there over to where I'm storing everything I kept from the shop. Home inspections on both houses this week which makes me nervous--not that they'd find something I don't want them to find but that there's something I don't know about.

The construction of my workshop this time last year took about triple the amount of time it should have because of so many days of "I need it to stop raining..." A storm last week downed a limb from one of our trees, and cleaning that up was one of my weekend chores. Several of our neighbors also lost limbs or entire trees.

I was happy with my first attempt at steam bending. I bent the upper and lower rails of a chair back from walnut. They're still clamped in the setting forms.
    DSC_0047 Setting Forms.JPG
    Chuck Taylor

I cleaned up a No.8 hand plane I got Tuesday for $20.
    It went from this
    002.jpg001.jpg

To this.
    012.jpg014.jpg013.jpg

Completed the trim work on the carcass of my latest tack trunk project and did all but the final sanding on that trim. (that will be completed once the lid is built and fitted) I also installed the drawer lock. Otherwise, it was a horse show weekend, so much of the time was spend at the barn or mowing the lawn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm still in the process of assembling my back-of-the-garage shop, and not much else will get built until that's finished. This weekend, I scored a 6-year old Grizzly G0593 8" spiral head jointer that I found through Craigslist. It's in great shape and came with 3 extra sets of replacment cutter inserts. The price I paid for it isn't necessarily gloat-worthy, but it was still sufficiently beneath the original retail so both the seller and I were happy with the transaction--a win-win. I'll include photos and details once the shop is set up and not just looking like a garage with a pile of tools in boxes and Rubbermaid containers.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 06-09-2014 at 1:09 PM.

Weekend started off pretty good. I got my dual air compressor compressed air system completed, including adding a desiccant dryer and oil removal filter, and then leak down tested... Working GREAT! Had some initial problems with leaks that I was able to chase down and fix... Been holding pressure all weekend!

Friday night / Saturday morning was awoken to unwelcome noises from our attic, and found some unwelcome bandit masked squatters and damaged siding in my gables... Proceeded to make all sorts of rukus, turned the attic lights on left several bowls of vinegar in the attic, seems to have driven them out. Temp patched the holes but need to get some real material for this task... Looks like I need to redo both gables (The masonite is giving up) and the small dormers as well, so I have a mix of hardie panel, and plank I need to source up, size up, and pre paint before I get it all put in...

I am dealing with some health issues that are vexing these repairs, and, well overall mobility and is getting on my nerves. Literally... Managed to first get some plantar Fasciitis, which has me walking funny, which the doc thinks led to the current Sciatica... Ugh... I am doing what I can, when I feel up to it, but that isn't enough... Makes me desperately miss the days when I was younger, and all it took was a case of beer, a pizza, and a couple of phone calls to dredge up help with my home repair projects...

I am in the process of building a "pretty storage box" for my wifes hot glue gun and accessories. I am using some farm sourced walnut that I am prepping, but it is WAY too wide for my jointer, so I have it fixed to a planing sled... Gotta get to making it flat tonight!

My blogger post is up about setting up the filtration system and sealing up the leaks... Pics and all up there for anyone interested...

http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/2...aring-air.html
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    The primary focus on the weekend is trying to heal up. I was able to start walking the dog, and did a nice walk each day. Unfortunately, recovery doesn't allow for much physical activity, so I tried to find things that served a purpose rather than just watching TV or other things of that ilk. I got out the water stones and touched up all things that could use it. I also had a few chisels that I have been given to try and make usable again.

I also fiddled with sketchup trying to work out an integration of a image onto the model form to represent some inlay I am considering. I was pretty happy that I got it to work out. When in the midst of that, I missed a pain pill alarm. Two hours later I was dying. Until that point, I thought I was healing quite quickly. It turns out however the pain is just masked by the painkillers. Oh well. My father called a couple of times to talk concerned on my recovery. He is a worrier. You'd think 25 years after leaving home he'd stop. I've been very lucky. The male role models in my family are all extremely good. That seems a rarity in today's world at times. We ended talking about hardening steel and the Austinite / Martinsite conversion. Pretty cool.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Friday had a Match Play event and sucked eggs on the par 3s leading to a one up loss. My lovely wife then informed me we "needed" a new bar-b-que and requested I join her at HD ("if you don't want to come I'll just get the one I like"). So I joined her and $1,000 later I had a new project for Saturday morning, assemble the new toy. Not nearly as enjoyable as assembling a new tool.

Saturday afternoon / evening / night we had friends over for cedar plank grilled crab stuffed salmon and way too much great wine (didn't seem like too much until Sunday morning).

Sunday recovered by fitting all the floating tenons for the V-Table. The curved interfaces are looking pretty dam good if I do say so. Finished the weekend with leftover crab, salmon and Game of Thrones.

Added some fluorescent light fixtures in my daughter's basement, brought over the portable table-saw and got that setup. Really turning into a fairly decent shop away from the shop. Intention is to have the stuff I need there in order to be helpful on projects like installing blinds (which will require replacing some moldings), etc.

Also disassembled a Ryobi cordless miter saw that seemed like something was grinding when I'd try to rotate the table to adjust the cut angle. Cleaned it all up, waxed the ways, reassembled and it works great. Hopefully is stays that way.