Thread: What can your cnc machine do?

What can your cnc machine do?

Hi, my investor finally got us our new bulding. It is 2 acres, 5,000 sq. ft building. He beat the bank up pretty bad on it -apparently. We got a $150,000 credit line rolled in, and it is interest only for first year.
    I am recommending a 3 axis machine in the 5'x 11' size, he however, wants a 7 axis robotic arm. Just trying to get a feel for what you guys think about what I think are over ambitious ideas on his part. Other than the obvious sign making of a flat table, and sculptre abilities of the 7 axis, what do you guys use yours for? Are you able to keep it busy, and you seeing a return on the investment? Thanks

Yes, I make money with my cnc machines. Yes, I am able to them busy.

The big question is what products are you planning an making with them. That would help to determine what type of machine to buy.

In clarification of my answers at the top of the post, I can do both of those because of marketing and quality product.
    Without a plan of how to do those things, I couldn't have answered the questions the way that I did.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

The more axis the more axis your CAM software will need to support. Not sure you can afford a 7 axis CAM setup with only 115K LOL much less understand it.

Metal or wood - what materials?

I keep metal and wood cnc machines running making niche products that are not made anymore or selling parts for tools and jigs that are expensive to buy completed. I also sell signs. I also make parts for other DIY CNC machines.

All my machines are paid off - I pay cash and build or retrofit them myself.

My next purchase for them - 40'X64'X16' - That will take some time to pay off.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

WOW... That is going to be a great place to work with some great CNC Equipment...

Don't know much about the big boys CNC but I have had some luck with my little Hobby CNC.. A little Carvewright... Using it now to cut 80 wood handles and some Plastic for a $10K order of Accountability Boards for Firemen. So to answer as to what do "I" make... Small Scale Fire Dept Safety Products... I even use the CW to cut out plastic tag blanks... Small Scale but it keeps me out of the Bars...

Another new project is a Historical Shelf Sitter of a Gravity Coal Railroad Car. I will run a slit along the top and glue in actual Gravity Coal chips from the 50's found along the old tracks today.

Good luck with your new building.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 06-11-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Fixed Spelling News to New....
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Al, What is an Accountability Board? How is it used?

You do amazing work!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

For that kind of money you won't get much of a 7 axis machine unless it is used. A big iron flat bed will cost that and then some.

Well, that's about what I figured. The $150k is primarily for DC, security,forklift, and smaller equipment. I just thought it was neat that the bank was willing to provide it, at such a low rate. The 7 axis would be financed, but I really don't think we should go that route until the demand is really there. I am pushing fora 3 axis , which is in our cash purchasing ability,and reccomend outsourcing everything else. This property is our "home". We build custom convenience stores/ truck stops mainly - all with more woodwork and granite than metal or plastic materials. The interest on the 7 axis come from our plans to build a Mediterranean restaurant. We need custom wall coverings (plastics that could probably be 3 axis actually), statues, statues, and more statues that would be foam. Again, as in my op, I am not recommending a 7 axis. I really , as a friend, prefer that the restaurant never be built. It is risky business, and we already do so well with our proven models. Why take proven positive cash flow and diversify into risky territory? Seems silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Al, What is an Accountability Board? How is it used?

You do amazing work!!
    Mike not to get too far off track.. Accountability Boards are used by Rural Fire Departments to track Fire Fighters at the Fire. Usually the Chief or the Safety Officer has the Master Board and when the Fireman arrive they clip one tag on the board in the Assigned Task say Entry or Water Supply. Another Board will be at the Building Entry point and used to know WHO is in the building like in Coal Mines of the past. And more important TIME.... as the Scott Air Packs only last SO Long... I have been doing this for 7 years and have mastered the Epoxy Domed Photo Tags that are a big hit. In a Rural setting where many small Fire Departments work together a Picture Tag is a fast way to know who is who.

This big project is a Home Land Security Grant for Genesee County New York where they designed a new style board and I cut the prototype on my little CNC. I have the first $8K Purchase Order and expect more...

I could have cut the parts for this project on a Router Table but using the small CNC is more fun and I am working on a Canadian Tag order in the Laser Shop while I listen to the CNC on the Intercom a few steps away... I have a Smoke Detector above the machine as many years ago I kinked the Flex Shaft doing maintenance and it rubbed inside until the outer rubber started to smoke.... I heard the Smoke detector first... I have started a Video hookup I need to finish.

I was approved also by a County in Alabama doing Photo Tags for the whole County, another Home Land Security Safety Equipment Grant... they are taking pictures now... It is looking like a $20K year...

I can be found easy in a Image search... Web NAME is everything... I even have RetiredNavyChief dot Com for future development.... I am a Retired Navy Chief. A one man Shop in the middle of a Xmas Tree Patch next to the house...

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 06-11-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

We also own an RC hobby shop. I was interested in mass producing both aluminum and carbon fiber upgrade parts and finding distribution for them. Again, 3 axis is good but maybe the addition of a mill too.

I may not have read this right, So no inflammation is intended,, Did you get a building, Credit line, then look for product to produce or was there an intent or scope not shown here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Forbes View Post
    Well, that's about what I figured. The $150k is primarily for DC, security,forklift, and smaller equipment.
    You should be able to buy the above for $15,000/$25,000 MAX
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking