Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grizzly vs ClearVue cyclones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marty shultz View Post
    After reviewing the Grizzly I noticed it's only a 3 hp motor compared to the 5 hp of the CV. And I don't believe the filters are the same as the Wynn filters. The price for the 5 hp Griz was $2400 which is more than the CV unless I'm missing something.
    If I recall, the CV design requires just over 3 hp, the next available motor was a 5 hp, so you can't necessarily compare it with other units that may actually require just under 5 hp. The impeller size and design dictates the fan curve which is the real indicator of air moving performance, not horsepower. You could put a 10 hp motor on a CV and the performance would be the same. The issue has always been obtaining a fan curve that is accurate. Each manufacturer tests their cyclones differently, so while not worthless, it becomes difficult to compare cyclones based on the fan curve. However, when the units are tested by an "independent" group such as Wood magazine, then you can draw some conclusions. Even on my 2 hp Oneida, you can find two different curves on their website. Of course performance has two major components, air movement vs suction and dust removal efficiency, the latter of which is largely based on the cyclone design and the filter provided.

http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/AWW%20...jan%202006.pdf 2006 American Woodworker mag test
    http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/Wood%2...r%20review.pdf 2013 Wood mag test
    And for a more than full discussion of the last test, you may have seen this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Shop-Cyclones
    Sorry, I don't have a URL for the subsequent Wood mag review (pan) of the CV.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-28-2014 at 3:22 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

None of your links worked for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Froh View Post
    None of your links worked for me.
    The first two require that you have Adobe Reader to view the .pdf files, and the third is just a fairly current Sawmillcreek thread, all work for me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, eh?
    NOW you tell me...

The links don't work if you are using ForumRunner. They work if you are reading the forum in a browser.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by marty shultz View Post
    After reviewing the Grizzly I noticed it's only a 3 hp motor compared to the 5 hp of the CV. And I don't believe the filters are the same as the Wynn filters. The price for the 5 hp Griz was $2400 which is more than the CV unless I'm missing something.
    I would love to know why the 3hp Griz uses more current than the 5hp CV, or more than the motors on other 3hp Griz tools. I thought it was some kind of hype, but it really does draw 22a. Did they select a special low efficiency motor for their cyclone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I would love to know why the 3hp Griz uses more current than the 5hp CV, or more than the motors on other 3hp Griz tools. I thought it was some kind of hype, but it really does draw 22a. Did they select a special low efficiency motor for their cyclone?
    My guess is yes. Modern high efficiency motors generally cost more.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    There is something more going on here than meets the eye. It seems to me that some specs somewhere are in error. That is the most inefficient motor I have ever heard of if it actually draws 22A while delivering only 3 horsepower steady state. 3 hp is equivalent to 2.2 kW but 240VAC at 22A is 5.2kW. That means that the motor is dissipating something like 3kW in heat. That is twice the output of a 120VAC plug in space heater. Does the motor really put out that much heat? Reactive current could account for some of it but not that much.

You will find lots of information on the Oneida, Grizzly, ClearVue including some heated debates, and I've been in a few of those, in the archives if you do some searches here. I briefly looked at the Oneida. Couldn't get past the pricing for my "perceived" features it offered. One of the Griz units was on my short list and ended up second. I got the CV from the original owner, Ed Morgano. While I still don't like the use of the term "plastic" without qualifying what type of plastic the CV is made out of, I understand people have a fear of it. In the 8+ years I've had mine, I have never had an issue with either the MDF, or the PTEG material of the cyclone body, and my shop is not climate controlled. I have found the performance to be more than adequate for my shop and needs.
    And I don't think that a magazine that sells ads is the best resource for unbiased information on anything. I know they will disagree with me on that. My recommendation would be to see if there are any woodworkers in a reasonable driving distance from your local that have units of various brands and models that would allow you to come and see it in operation. I have hosted woodworkers before to look at both my CV and my Grizzly cabinet saw, and would be happy to do so again. I think most woodworkers would be happy to do so with any of their equipment. Maybe talk to the manufacturers of the models you are most interested, and see if they would be willing to contact someone who has purchased one of their units in your area and pass along your contact information to try to set up a meet and greet. That is the best way I can think of to help you make the decision you are making.
    In the long run, any of these units are going to do a good job for you. I've only heard of one woodworker complain about the cyclone he bought. Face it, there aren't many of us out there that will buy more than one of these in our lifetimes. And if you do, I'd bet you would return to the manufacturer you purchased your first unit from as long as you were happy with it!
    And one more note....put as much effort into designing your pickup hoods as you do in the decision on which cyclone to go with. You can have a super commercial unit and the performance will be sub-par if you can't catch the wood chips and dust to begin with! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Seems like this was discussed before and someone who had the unit verified the amp draw. Given the size of the impeller it could be that Grizzly just uses basically the same motor in their 3 and 5 hp units. Not much cost difference if any. Maybe someone at Grizzly will verify. 22 amps isn't terribly efficient for a 5 hp motor so I doubt the three is way less efficient. Dave