Thread: Variable feeding speed conversion for planer does not work

Variable feeding speed conversion for planer does not work

I just bought an old grizzly 15 planer g1021. A previous owner attached a conversion kit that uses a treadmill DC motor to control the feeding speed. He removed one of the sprocket from the gear box and connected the feed roller with a chain controlled by the DC motor.
    The conversion kit consists of a switch box that controls on/off status and variable speed rate.
    Then there is a controller for the DC motor (there is the label IC3645TMRM1A on the back of the controller but no brand)
    Finally a DC motor (2HP treadmill duty from GE)
    I have the machine in my garage where I do not have yet the 240v power source for the main planer, however I tried to connect the 120 volt for the variable speed kit but nothings happens. Do I need to have the planar running on 240v to have the variable feed working (I do no think so) where do I start in debugging this problem. worst case scenario I will buy the replacement for the sprocket and chain from grizzly to restore initial condition and bypass the variable speed kit.
    I am attaching few pictures. if you have something similar please share your advice maybe pictures too. maybe the problem is in the controller for the DC motor. There was a lot of dust and maybe a short happened in the past...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It works!

I am very glad to report that the problem is fixed. I cleaned very well the electronic parts with dedicated cleaner as well as verified that all the cables were connected. Above all I waited. I think that waiting did the job.
    In the DC motor controller as well as elsewhere there are capacitors. Because the machine was not used in years it needed some extra seconds to start. The machine now respond almost instantly. The first time I took probably almost 10 seconds. I expected to have an almost immediate response but this was not the case. it is not like turning on/off a light bulb...
    Hope this helps someone else in the future.
    Last edited by JOSEPH RESTA; 06-11-2014 at 3:14 PM.

I'm glad you got it figured out. I was going to suggest you scrap the Rube Goldberg project and go back to stock because the pictures were giving me a headache. I never needed more than the 2 speed gear box.