Thread: Sycamore Communion Sets

Sycamore Communion Sets

I just finished 10 communion sets for Navy Chaplains. They are made of sycamore - much of it spalted. The sizes are not by design, but by finding parts of the firewood that were free of fatal cracks.

I included a few extra bowls so they can decide whether they want to use them for communion for a couple of people at a time or for a group.

The picture of 3 shows my favorites based on wood colors.

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

When I wasn't looking the shop dog grabbed my camera and took a selfie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. That is a lot of work, Brian! I applaud your efforts to supply such meaningful items to chaplains that serve our military. It is a wonder that they could accept them in a political climate such as we have now!

Looking at the last pic, I see a few tool marks on the goblet on the left, and one or two on the middle one...........just trying to be helpful, so the finishing can be as good as the cause for which you made these. I had a few critiques along the way on some of my pieces that helped me up my quality in finishing...........I still have some ground to gain in this area, and am grateful for those who have made me see what I did not see on my own!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thank you Roger. These are for a Chaplain friend who is giving them to colleagues as they are redeployed.

The tool marks on the left goblet are intentional texture. I don't see the ones in the middle. Are you talking about the break in the curve near the rim? That one was not intentional.

And I love C&C. That's how I learn from this forum. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 06-11-2014 at 10:37 AM.

5. Yes, the middle one at the curve of the rim......good eye! I did not realize you were leaving them on the left one for texture.......if I had, I would not have commented.........I think the artists intent is so important! Not everyone sees things the same, and we all see through the lens of our own preferences, so your intentions are what counts!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Shop dog needs a little more camera time. Has to learn to hold still while doing selfie. Nice job on the communion sets. Good to be able to show some support for the troops, they will be appreciated. Wondering what finish you used on the goblets.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Really nice gesture on your part. The bowls look fine--exceptional color for sycamore. Finishes look great from here also.

You did a great job on these.

They are finished with shellac. Some also have wax on the outsides. These are United Methodist Chaplains so they won't have fermented wine sitting in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    Shop dog needs a little more camera time. Has to learn to hold still while doing selfie. Nice job on the communion sets. Good to be able to show some support for the troops, they will be appreciated. Wondering what finish you used on the goblets.
    Dudley the shop dog is not all that great with an iPhone camera (no opposable digits, you know) so he asked me to hold the phone and he reached up a snapped the selfie. He was lol.