Thread: Making A Phenolic Tabel Saw Insert

Making A Phenolic Tabel Saw Insert

Hi All,

I have an old Craftsaman table saw that I want to create some Zero Clearance Inserts for and was told the best way to go is using a Phenolic material. However I am finding that there are all kinds of them with different grades. I am thinking that the material made form paper and canvas woudl be the best however the more I read the more confused I get.

Can anyone shed any light on what is the best grade and type to use? Also wouldn't mind a good tip on where to purchase at a decent price.

Thanks,
    Jeff Walters

I bought a 2 pack of blanks from Rockler. Item #26648.

I get mine from Forrest Saw Blades Online, http://www.sliversmill.com/category_...nk_Sheets.html

I use the 1/2" sheets and they really make nice inserts.

I used some corian countertop material for several of mine and it works very well. Scrap from a neighbor's new kitchen counters so the price was right!

http://www.leecraftzeroclearance.com/

Check his models for applicability to your saw. Amazon also sells them

Thank you all. I will check out the links and see what I come up with. I do like the corian idea and actually have a sheet I was gong to use for turning a pen. Never thought of using it for an insert.

Jeff

I use laminate flooring to make my inserts

Measure the thickness of your insert with calipers

Go to store ask if they have any offcuts or old display samples , identify off cut of correct thickness ,cut to size

regards Brian

I've had excellent luck with the Leecraft phenolic inserts.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....