So as everyone has known forever, and im just learning, when it comes to Arkansas novaculite stones theres a lot of BS about what is what. Ive found depending on who you ask, or whose uncle worked in what industry 100 years ago, arks are either soft, hard, "true" hard, black hard, black translucent, or translucent translucent...and also depending on whose dead uncle you are getting your info from, some of these stones are rare, not mined anymore, have too many defects, were planted by aliens, and have grit ranging from 200 up to 2,000,000....all that being said, god I LOVE arks...and that isnt just because if I have to flatten another waterstone 3 times during the course of a sharpening session again I will #$%(***& everywhere!!!!

SO I was wandering if anyone has experience with washita stones, especially new ones. Ive read they are rather course, leave a good edge and really hog off material. Anyone with experience, are they worth the trouble of finding? Better than a SOFT ark? Basically, what gives, I guess thats the real question, I mean, there arent THAT MANY companies mining novaculite, but out of those, some say "oh no one has had washita for 50 years", some say "oh, well...I have one small one, with a soft spot and hole, and cracked, but I may be able to let you have it for 100 bucks....maybe..." and finally, one nice great guy said, "sure, Ive got loads" lol Want to trust, scared to trust, and darn sure I wont go for the tiny vintage "Lilly Whites" on Ebay for stupid prices...