Thread: Shiplap cabinet back mistake

Shiplap cabinet back mistake

Ok, so I rabbeted the shiplap for the back panel for my Shaker Hutch, beveled the ends with a raised panel router bit and started assembling the boards in the frame. Then I noticed the bevel cut slightly into the rabbet below thus leaving a small void about 1/4" by 1/2" on one side of each board.. As a consequence there will be a small amount of daylight between the ends of the shiplapped boards if any space for wood movement is left between the boards. See picture. Especially during the winter this is going to mean you can see daylight through both the top and bottom of the back especially during winter when the boards shrink. I guess I should have set bit slightly lower rather than at 1/4". The only thing I can think to do now, short of starting the shiplap over, is to cut 1/4" off both ends of the shiplap, make new rails 1/4" wider and cut the grooves in them slightly wider so that the little void at the end of the shiplap sits entirely inside the groove. Any other ideas?

P.S. for some reason I am not getting the option to attach my picture. Normally I post on Windows, but today I'm using a Chrome tablet but the format is much different from what I usually see. Can anyone tell me how to attach the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jan Bianchi; 06-12-2014 at 8:22 PM. Reason: adding picture

Blog Entries
    Normally with ship lap you have 3/8 to 1/2" overlap if the boards are 3/4" thick. This allows the boards to move a bit with moisture changes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The overlap on the shiplap is 1/4" on each side of 1/2" board which is what the Milkovits article I have been following from Fine Woodworking calls for. The problem is not the width of the space for movement between the boards but the fact that too deep beveling removed all the material over the rabbet on the other side. No amount of overlap would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Bianchi View Post
    P.S. for some reason I am not getting the option to attach my picture. Normally I post on Windows, but today I'm using a Chrome tablet but the format is much different from what I usually see. Can anyone tell me how to attach the picture?
    You might be using "mobile" mode. At the bottom of the page when on your tablet select "full site". I'm sure you can post photos in " mobile " mode, but I never have. On a tablet with its larger screen, compared to a phone, I much prefer "full site" mode.

Otherwise...

Screenshot_2014-06-12_21-32-17.jpg

Click on the little button with the tree on it.

Screenshot_2014-06-12_21-33-15.png

Then choose a file. Here will pop up boxes that you should be familiar with.

Screenshot_2014-06-12_21-34-03.png

After you've chosen your picture, click the less obvious button "upload files".
    Last edited by Judson Green; 06-13-2014 at 9:24 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Not sure of the overall design but, could you apply a small strip, say 3/8" x 1/16" x the length required, horizontally along the back to cover the small peepholes where the light would show through? I know it sounds like a band aid but, I think it could be done in a way that wouldn't be too odd.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-12-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is the hutch going against a wall? If so, I bet you wouldn't even see anything through these little gaps, just more shadow.