Thread: Can a CNC engrave on rowmark plastic?

Can a CNC engrave on rowmark plastic?

Hi I am new here and seriously considering a CNC Router for hobby use, and possibly use to make money in the future. The main thing I like make are guitar amps. I make the amp faceplates from laserable plastic. I have have been paying for them or going to the local colleges that have public access to the Fab Labs with laser engravers. I think a CNC router would also be nice to cut out the top part of the aluminum chassis for the tube sockets and screws instead of doing it by drill press. I may also get fancy with finished wood cabinets instead of typical vinyl/tolex covered. It would also be nice to cut out the pieces of the wood cabs with the CNC. I am thinking of a CNC Shark or Shopbot Buddy. Would a CNC router do a nice job of engraving on the rowmark plastic? Are the CNC Sharks reliable machines? The Shopbot Buddy may be a little too expensive so I needs some input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have ever seen the Material Machined then the Answer is yes a cnc can machine it. take a Deeeeep and Looong look if the Shark is on your front list.

Pay attention to the Z clearence you might need if you plan to do cabinets already assembled.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A CNC router can do what you are asking
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Can you elaborate about taking a deep long look at the Shark? I put it up front because of the price, 25x25 inch should be big enough for my use, and good reviews. However, if there is something that size that is better in the same price range I would certainly consider it.

I anticipate cutting the cab pieces before they are assembled.

I have owned more than a few CNCs (yes I have owned a shark and a desktop). I would look at the Shopbot desktop machine if I thought I would be doing much engraving with a cnc machine (remember that that is not what a cnc is was designed to do). The Shark is not a bad machine but has suffered from bow in the middle of the bed from machine to machine. On consitering a machine, I would sugest you go the the companies web site and search for trouble issues, tolorances etc before buying. Then you can make a informed decision.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Thanks for the reply. I did finds some videos on you tube with the exact problem you were describing.

That's not a good job for a CNC router. The laser was the right tool for the job. You can do it on a CNC router, but you could engrave those faceplates in about 2 minutes time. I doubt you'll ever CNC route them in that time frame. Not to mention, if you gang them up, the time will be even less.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

NEVER purchase a CNC Router with price as a primary concern.
    Find a machine that fits your needs and then save your money until you can purchase that machine.

Under normal circumstances I fully understand how cost is the number one concern with most woodworkers but CNC machines that won't get the job done are expensive mistakes. Most first time purchasers don't know what kinds of jobs they will expect their new machines to accomplish but they learn real quick once the machine is in their shop.

Read every thread in this Forum, you should be able to sort the good advice from the uninformed in a short period of time then factor in your needs before you go shopping.

BTW Steve Shepherd is right a Laser Engraver is the preferred machine for engraving plastic but if you don't own one you use the machine you have that will do the job even if is very slow as long as you end up with the necessary job quality.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-15-2014 at 11:03 AM.

I knew someone would answer that question for me,, there is a basic right and wrong to this,, it is a good bit of money for some to venture into CNC and this needs to be taken seriously,, the shop bot desktop will do what you want there are others as well depending on speed tolerances and what you want for a finished product, I would also tell you to consider the CAMaster Stinger, but at this point they can barely keep up with demand and used ones are sold in hours if you even see them for sale, there is a good reason for this.. you may also want to ask your question on both the shop bot (letstalkshopbot) and CAMasters (Camheads) forums. Remember these are machine specific forums so the end users are a bit biased but the answers are well worth the effort.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-15-2014 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Removed active forum links per TOS

NEVER purchase a CNC Router with price as a primary concern.
    Find a machine that fits your needs and then save your money until you can purchase that machine.
    Best advice I've read in a long time

Can substitute "CNC Router" for just about any machine tool

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Thanks for the input! I certainly don't want an expensive mistake. It's starting to look like the CNC Shark will be an expensive mistake.

I got some good advice here.
    They said: "Build your second shop first!"
    I did..and never looked back.
    Bandsaws, skilsaws, tables saws, drill motors, sanders are all two dimensional.
    The 2.5 D or 3 D for some models exposes us to creating a 3rd dimension for perhaps the first time.
    My suggestion is, then, buy your second machine first.
    ;-)
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. ... May your chains set lightly upon you, and posterity forget that you were our countrymen". -- Samuel Adams