Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1442 Belt Replacement and Reeves Drive Overhaul

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Jet 1442 Belt Replacement and Reeves Drive Overhaul

The belt on my Jet blew last week, and the speed control has been sticky lately. So I pulled the entire drive and quill apart, cleaned/lubed it, and installed a new belt. Runs better than ever. Jet says this is a factory service, but I can help anyone who wants to do it themselves. Not too difficult, and no special tools needed.

One interesting thing is that I was able to pick up the replacement vee-belt at NAPA for a fraction of the Jet price.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 06-15-2014 at 9:03 AM. Reason: speling

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russell, sounds like it would make for a great tutorial as I am sure there are a number of Jet 1442 owners out there that will eventually need to replace the lathe belt.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    The belt on my Jet blew last week, and the speed control has been sticky lately. So I pulled the entire drive and quill apart, cleaned/lubed it, and installed a new belt. Runs better than ever. Jet says this is a factory service, but I can help anyone who wants to do it themselves. Not too difficult, and no special tools needed.

One interesting thing is that I was able to pick up the replacement vee-belt at NAPA for a fraction of the Jet price.
    Hey Russel,

I also have the Jet 1442, bought it from Amazon for 809.00 in March of 2006

It's been for the most part trouble free, the speed lever has always been a little funky and I drilled an additional hole to allow for a lower speed at that end of the range. I've blown it out many times but have never done anything with the belt.

You tips and such would be quite useful I'm sure. Thank for offering up the help.
    Tim

Tim, the speed control system is, indeed, an annoyance. Pull it off, lube everything, and be sure it's completely on the Reeves control shaft before tightening the set screw.

I have also wanted to run mine at lower than standard speed. My solution is to bungee the lever all the way down, achieving an rpm of about 375.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'm of the opinion that the Reeves drive gets a bum wrap.

My Grizz 1067Z (don't laugh) has never failed. I keep the spindles clean and lubed.
    Now watch!!!! It'll explode tomorrow.
    I do have a spare belt.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Replacing the belt .........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the Reeves drive gets a bum wrap.

My Grizz 1067Z (don't laugh) has never failed. I keep the spindles clean and lubed.
    Now watch!!!! It'll explode tomorrow.
    I do have a spare belt.
    Bill
    ...is a piece of cake when you use the red link belts. And keeping the shafts clean and lubricated really helps as well, been there and done that.

Russell, curious what lube you used. A few years ago, I used white lithium grease under the split pulleys on the spindle of our 25+ y/o Grizzly Reeves drive (G1495). That was too thick, and it seized up when that lathe wasn't used for a few months. Cleaned the spindle again and switched to a lightweight sewing machine oil.

David

Rather than start a new thread, I guess I'll bump this old one, since the question is closely related.

A woodturner donated a Jet 14-42 to our club, and the motor side of the reeves drive is pretty trashed. We need to purchase the outer pulley half, which appears to be part JWL1442-159, but they're out of stock at the Jet Parts website. Any alternative sources for these?

Russell Neyman

You want to replace both halves as a set to make sure the keyways line up. What size shaft does it use? I have some parts from a Delta 1440 that might be of use if they will fit. PM me with the details if you can't find what you need.

I hear that Grizzly and HF often use parts the same parts from the same factory (but possibly??? a lower level of quality). You might want to check there with Grizzly since they are easier to deal with to get parts from what I hear. Grizzly PN P0462009 is the motor half pair for the P0462 lathe (16" swing reeves) or PN P1495068A from their P1495 14" swing lathe.

I ordered the complete motor side Reeves mechanism today from Equipment Supplies & Service (Auburn) for $50

I had to replace pulley on mine and it comes as a pair. Came from e-replacement parts. Factory erroneously said that it had been discontinued.

That's what I heard, too, leading me to this repost. Another reason why the Internet is such a great resource.

Edit/Update: Found the two-part pulley at Equipment Supplies & Surplus in Auburn, Washington for fifty bucks.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 03-24-2015 at 8:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    That's what I heard, too, leading me to this repost. Another reason why the Internet is such a great resource.

Edit/Update: Found the two-part pulley at Equipment Supplies & Surplus in Auburn, Washington for fifty bucks.
    Russell, glad you were able to find a current source.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    [snip]

I hear that Grizzly and HF often use parts the same parts from the same factory...[snip]
    Dick, as do Jet, PM, Laguna, Baileigh, Hafco, Craftex, et. al. http://www.burt-group.com.cn/

I was of the opinion that a link belt was not a good choice for a reeves drive system. Was I misinformed?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill
    I've been using a link belt for years on my General 160 no problem.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.