Thread: Craftsman table saw

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.

Craftsman table saw

I have been researching contractor table saws. My brother in law has a Rigid 4512 and I had pretty much decided on one too, until I started reading other reviews. He has had no problem with his at all and he loves it. He has used it to rip quite a bit of 8/4 walnut with no problems at all. That's the most extreme use it has had. But I've noticed a lot of reviews that say it is both under powered and mentions of a lot of problems with blade alignment. The alignment problems are what I'm most worried about. These problems were caused by machining errors in the cast part of the trunion. The Rigid 4512, the Masterforce from Menard's and the Craftsman contractor saw are the same saws and Sears has them on sale now for $485.00 and that seemed like a sweet deal for a decent saw. I have no concern over the fence as I am using the Incra LS fence I already have. The other parts of the saw are of no concern either, as I'm going to mount the saw on a shop built cabinet and won't be using the stand or wings. The end goal is to have a router table mounted on one end and an MDF or melamine extension on the other end.
    The reviews I have seen were all two to three years old and I am wondering if any members have newer saws and what if any cons they have encountered. If they are still having the same problems maybe I'd be better off going with the new Delta. Thanx for any help!
    I'm just thankful it held.

If it's the 21833, i picked one up last year and did not have any alignment problems. Though the issue had supposedly been corrected, i still kept the packing material for nearly a year to be certain. The stock fence was okay for a few weeks, but the TS-LS is in a different class. Compared to the Ridgid, the c-man was at 15 amp vs 13 amp, and included the dado throat plate (was extra on the Ridgid). If you make that decision, do a search for "Sears tool coupon", if i recall correctly i found one that got me like $60 off. Using a sears charge card was good for 10% at that time, i think it's normally 5%. I hate having to scavenge like that, but it was time well spent. Not a cabinet saw, but as a hobbyist it works for now and most likely for most of my life.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    If it's the 21833, i picked one up last year and did not have any alignment problems. Though the issue had supposedly been corrected, i still kept the packing material for nearly a year to be certain. The stock fence was okay for a few weeks, but the TS-LS is in a different class. Compared to the Ridgid, the c-man was at 15 amp vs 13 amp, and included the dado throat plate (was extra on the Ridgid). If you make that decision, do a search for "Sears tool coupon", if i recall correctly i found one that got me like $60 off. Using a sears charge card was good for 10% at that time, i think it's normally 5%. I hate having to scavenge like that, but it was time well spent. Not a cabinet saw, but as a hobbyist it works for now and most likely for most of my life.
    earl
    Thanx for the info, I appreciate your reply. I don't have any "fear" of Craftsman as some do. I've used their old smaller model saw for about 26 years had no trouble whatsoever, (for a small saw) and with the LS fence it's been wonderful for small work. I just need something with a little more power and a larger table for sleds. I think I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Hi Jack, I purchased the 21833 in April 2014. Saw has been great so far and is free of the alignment issue.

Mine has the updated trunnion (stamped JH) and the new model # (351.218331), which no longer includes the dado plate.

Good luck!

I'd guess that many of the claims of being under powered are associated with alignment issues, and or blade selection. Even a well tuned 15 amp 1.5hp saw isn't going to compete with a true 3hp motor, though should be capable of ripping 8/4" stock with the right blade.

I'm still reading about occasional issues with all the saws that use that mechanism, including the Griz G0715P, even though I've read several claims that it's been fixed. It's kind of frustrating, but there's still some chance of the issue from what I can tell. Regardless, it never has effected every unit, just some. If you think this saw will serve you well, just be aware that it could be plagued with the alignment problem, look for it, and be prepared to return/exchange it.

The new Delta 35-726 is another candidate that I"d consider in this price range for a new stationary saw....Delta's reputation has taken some hits in recent years, but this saw is getting mainly positive reports from owners. It really boils down to picking your poison. There are no clear cut bonafide winners in this price range of new stationary saws that don't have at least some potential draw backs....I guess that same could be said of any new saw in any price range!

The Steel City 35990 series is another possible candidate, but they tend to cost more.

A good used saw is always an option if the right deal comes along. Good luck, and please keep us posted!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanx for all the replies! I guess it's pretty much like Scott say's: "You pays your money & takes your chances."

There is no perfect solution..Each has minor drawbacks...Use you instincts after researching...
    Jerry

Also keep in mind, using a WWII in 3/32 nds kerf will seeming add power to a typical contractor saw. I use one on my radial arm Craftsman and it's still working fine after 25 years. Some times I hone it with a diamond file and she's good to go for another year.