Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a friend's cherry worth?

I think you should consider the pile of cherry as your own, then imagine you want to sell it on Craigslist. Figure out a price for that, and pay that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

50 board feet?

Unless they're wider than 6" and particularly well figured
    it's one of the most commonly available woods, East of the Mississippi.

I just paid $1.75/bf for more than 700 bf, in the rough.

Unless there was a bequest from the deceased, I would only accept
    tools and lumber from this lot as a gift. Otherwise, it's like buying a car from friends or family.

I would recommend to the seller that the lumber be priced at retail during the sale
    and offered as a "Sweetener" to get larger items removed.

If money is not the primary concern, this sort of thing should go to someone
    just starting out in making things for their own use.

Situations like this are always fraught, money and grief are a toxic brew.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You are talking 50bd ft and a widow. If you overpay you are talking $50-100 extra to feel good. Pretty cheap at any price. Dave
    I agree with this concept. It's not like we are talking about a large sum one way or the other. I always try to put myself on the lesser side of deals with friends and most people in general, knowing that if it wards off a disagreement later, it was money or time well spent.

Blog Entries
    Jim, I agree that buying tools and lumber this way can be uncomfortable but it can be better than the alternative.

When my grandfather died, he left a whole wood and upholstery shop. My father desperately wanted it all but my grandmother was too proud to sell it to family. So she found a buyer for all of it at $50. My father and I had to make three trips with a 4x8 utility trailer full of tools to the buyer. To top it off, the buyers dog bit my dad. I don't think my dad ever fully forgave my grandmother.

I would find a way to do the deal if you wan the stuff.

Wow- that's so sad. In other situations, there is a strong desire to keep it in the family but no one wants it.

Life is strange.

Maybe buy it at the $2.50 and surprise her with a keepsake from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Takae View Post
    I would agree with this.

Not sure what your normal builds are, but it would be a nice gesture to do something like a picture frame.

That way she could have something of her dads with his picture.

Just a thought

Excellent .

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Marcum View Post
    . . . do something like a picture frame.

That way she could have something of her dads with his picture.
    . . . . .

Here in PA if it's FAS 5.50 to 6.00 I buy in bulk and 3 is my normal price. If she is a friend and the money can be used by the family, I'd go 3 - 3.50 even if i did not need the cherry. I could not take advantage of someone to benefit myself with a passed loved one. Then take the wood make something out of it and give it to her as one last gift from her dad.

This is the best idea so far. $2.50 is a fair price. The keepsake will be priceless for her. See if your friend has a picture and have it in the frame when you give it to her.

Steve

I really like that idea, too. Otherwise, I think letting her know what prevailing retail price is and making your considered offer is just fine. With all the cards on the table, I think the fair price is whatever the two of you agree upon.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

What's the grade? Is it off a band mill waned edge or... Or how good is this cherry and how important is this relationship to you? This is a personal question and only you know the answer and you already know it.