Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My process for getting "unstuck" when encountering problems

Chad,
    I don't see anything wrong with your approach to problem solving,as long as it takes care of the issues in the end,that is all that matters.I am a professional,so time is money,that being said,I still find it necessary to put the problem to the side for a while.I alway's have plenty to do,so I am not losing production.I find that the longer I wait,the better the solution I will come up with.Usually my best ideas come in the morning with a fresh mind.For me,I find it difficult to make good decisions late in the day,it seems like my brain is tired,and I just hit a mental block.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
    For you professionals, you do this for a living and have encountered more problems and are simply better at the craft so you don't get "stuck" as frequently because you have "been there and done that". Us amateurs simply don't have your experience so what is intuitive to you may not be intuitive to an amateurs/hobbyist because the hobbyist lacks the experience.
    Not entirely true, in a small custom shop any day can feel like the first, often a given commission presents a unique set of challenges as architects and designers seem to strive to be unique, even at the expense of being solid. Lots of things work on paper, like Escher, that don't work in solid form, or at least some parts of the form are unresolved or under developed. And when you do more work faster the volume of mistakes can be higher. Anyway, the beauty of working on a strong team is that while often I'm in panic mode when I hit the wall, I can confer quickly with an associate on my team who is not so close to the problem, has a different experience set and a fresh look at the problem. This group at the creek often provides just such an opportunity for those working at home solo, that type of exchange is why I come here. Its interesting to see how different minds will solve the same problem differently. Your method is as valid as any if it works for you and helps you meet your goals. Not sure you are actually getting beat down? I see lots of guys sharing different methods to solve the design/build process. A most interesting post you've engendered.

I go get my wife.

I think professionals have alot more problem solving to do than hobbyists,no matter how long we have been doing this.I am constantly getting calls from contractors,designers and customers that decide they want to change something after the job has already been started.Most of the problems I have to deal with are not self induced,but I still have to make it happen in order to keep everyone happy,just part of the game.

Wow! Talk about a make-work project! If I have a problem, I just pick a good solution and execute it. If it doesn't come to me right away, I'll do something else while I keep thinking about it. Eventually, I'll come up with a solution. On the very rare occasion that I can't come up with a solution on my own, I'll pick someone's brain for ideas, and usually the discussion will bring about a solution. Most often, I'm the guy whose brain gets picked by others. I don't need charts, graphs, plotting charts, or any other time-wasters to make a decision -- but maybe since I make decisions for a living, they come easy to me. It sounds like an office manager's, or pencil-pusher's approach to problem solving, rather than a layman's approach, whereby you make the best decision you can, given the information at hand, within the time frame allowed. I really doubt that many woodworkers would resort to charting columns of possible solutions, outcomes, and evaluation criteria to solve the problems they encounter in their shop. A risk assessor, maybe, but a woodworker? Really? Having said all that... if making charts and graphs helps you solve a problem, then... hey... whatever floats your boat! I haven't eaten dinner yet today, so I apologize if what I said came off too harsh. Maybe I'll go plot a chart to decide what to eat! :-)

6. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I don't have any time for that process, I do this for a living and the pace to stay profitable is stiff. My wife has meetings at work, they discuss process.....and discuss....and discuss.....and organize........and discuss. Not sure they actually get around to actually doing anything with all that organizing? Mistakes happen in pro shops too, but we don't get frustrated, generally a brainstorm is held quickly to come to a resolution. So same idea as your process but with more than 100 years experience among 5 guys and at light speed, no columns, no graphs, no charts. Identify the problem, analyze the goals, discuss the possible solutions and any inherent benefits or short comings of each......foreman generally picks the solution as his is the ultimate authority on the floor. All in under 2 minutes. Have you considered hiring a foreman?
    I'm with you Peter. As a professional I just don't have time for that process either but if you are a hobbyist and time isn't an issue good for him.

Here's my take on problems or mistakes made woodworking,Two kinds of mistakes can be made one is slip of the hand.The second would be a slip of the mind.Both happen naturally and are expected.So the solution should occur naturally and not forced.
    This is a good way to new desings.
    If all else fails you can still be saved by Wabi Sabi. Nothing perfect,Nothing's permanent,Nothing's finished.

In time the criteria you speak of will become part of your normal thought process .

In my case I know what the solutions are , Some are simple some are a hard pill to swallow... all part of the learning process.

As your process becomes more efficient eventually you find there are less hard pills .

I like your thought process, It is a common sense approach to problem solving in general.

I generally work on 3 projects at a time. Encounter a problem or delay for drying time etc. I switch.