Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My process for getting "unstuck" when encountering problems

My process for getting "unstuck" when encountering problems

I used a process from work this week to help me get "unstuck" this weekend in the shop when I encountered a couple problems. Invariably when I encounter problems I lose a lot of time trying to figure out what to do next, perhaps I even get frustrated and halt work for a period of time and it causes me to not work efficiently here is what I did.

I make a chart with the criteria to evaluate the solutions listed in the furthest left column, and the possible solutions across the top row.

In my shop notebook on the left hand margin I started writing down a vertical column all of the criteria I needed to consider when developing a solution to fix the problem. Some criteria is project specific other criteria is general, by way of example criteria listed vertically may include: 1) cost; 2) time; 3) aesthetic appearance; 4) structural integrity; etc.

At the top of my page horizontally across the top I write possible solutions to the problem, again by way of example it may generally include: 1) buy new tool to fix the issue; 2) re-make the part; etc.

This gives me a chart to begin comparing options and the things I should consider when comparing the options. The process helps bring some organization to my thought process and more quickly determine a solution when I get "stuck" so that I can get back to work and keep building.

I don't know of this will help anyone else, but thought I would share in case it will help someone else become more efficient in the shop.

That's a good plan. I usually just stop and work on something else the rest of the day . Usually after I sleep on it I have a good plan.For me, I do better at visualizing solutions than writing them out.

Good idea Chad. Thanks forvsharing it.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    It is just my opinion, and that doesn't mean much, and maybe because I'm old and retired, but it sounds like you have too much time on your hands.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

[QUOTE=Von Bickley;2278206]It is just my opinion, and that doesn't mean much, and maybe because I'm old and retired, but it sounds like you have too much time on your hands.....[/

The guy with "too much time on their hands" in this thread might be the person who apparently has time to leave unhelpful comments on Internet forums when he encounters ideas he does not like.

In all seriousness it is a process that has helped me identify to get back to work when I get kind of stuck when encountering a problem with a project. It may not be for everyone, but if it helps someone find a solution and get back to work quickly then it was worth sharing.

I don't have any time for that process, I do this for a living and the pace to stay profitable is stiff. My wife has meetings at work, they discuss process.....and discuss....and discuss.....and organize........and discuss. Not sure they actually get around to actually doing anything with all that organizing? Mistakes happen in pro shops too, but we don't get frustrated, generally a brainstorm is held quickly to come to a resolution. So same idea as your process but with more than 100 years experience among 5 guys and at light speed, no columns, no graphs, no charts. Identify the problem, analyze the goals, discuss the possible solutions and any inherent benefits or short comings of each......foreman generally picks the solution as his is the ultimate authority on the floor. All in under 2 minutes. Have you considered hiring a foreman?

I have 45 minute drive to work and amazing how many times the answer to problem get worked out in that time.

Occam's razor has always helped me to get unstuck, as in the following statements. . .

"If you have two theories that both explain the observed facts, then you should use the simplest until more evidence comes along"
    "The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations."
    "If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest."
    "The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
    . . .or in the only form that takes its own advice. . .
    "Keep things simple!"

No flow charts, problem analysis workups, wasted paper and ink or skull time.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

When encountering a problem I usually wonder what would happen if I did "it" upside down and backwards.

Chad,
    Are you able to share a specific example?

I sometimes do this too (the get stuck part; not the table). It is a hobby, so I can back off and return to it when I've got a fresh mindset ready to solve it. It is interesting to see that my approaches can change pretty dramatically over time. Usually getting more straightforward. Think a lot of it is giving myself the permission to try something that may not be perfect. An example from last year was organizing my chisel storage. I wanted to try something like Tolpin's shelving, where the tool is lying back and easily visible as to which is which, but was tending to over-think how to fit it on the angled shelf. I was thinking of different ways to try and secure the butt and/or the neck of the chisel, etc. Drew some ideas and dabbled at making some notched fittings, without being real happy. Shelved it for a while (pun intended), and then eventually came back to it with the attitude of just doing the simplest thing -- small dividers to keep the chisel blades from bumping into each other)

Matt

I was beginning to think that everyone was going to Make Chad a new one,if someone creates a system and the system works for them and there's nothing wrong with the system, there's also a world of difference between the hobby world and the commercial world ,in the commercial world we are trying to solve the problems quickly and economical. I do like the idea of putting thoughts on paper
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

It is amazing how your mind works. When I'm having a problem figuring out the right way to do something, I think about it as I am trying to go to sleep. In the morning it is worked out and I wake up with the answer. Like Max I just move to another task until I get it worked out. Otherwise I'm struggling with the solution and don't accomplish much.

I usually just drink a couple of beers. By the end of the second beer, I've either solved the problem or I don't care about it anymore. Either way...

I completely agree that everyone's minds work differently. I also frequently step away and come back with a fresh mind and it is amazing what you can figure out with a fresh perspective. I dislike needing to step away as it slows down a build. I think that the times when you are stuck and things are not going well whether in our work place or in our hobbies is very similar to what TV commentators will use to refer to athletes when they say an athlete is "grinding". It is those times when things are not going great or smoothly and you need to use grit and determination to get through it.

The process I described above is not for everyone, but it has helped me reduce the frequency that I need to step away and think or at least it lets me get back to work quicker. For you professionals, you do this for a living and have encountered more problems and are simply better at the craft so you don't get "stuck" as frequently because you have "been there and done that". Us amateurs simply don't have your experience so what is intuitive to you may not be intuitive to an amateurs/hobbyist because the hobbyist lacks the experience.

At the risk of continuing to get beat down here is a specific and simple example of how I might use the process. Say that I have a loose tenon that does not properly fit. I might consider the following options: 1) glue material back onto to the tenon and then use a dado blade to retrim the tenon; 2) cut the tenon off and do a biscuit or floating tenon; 3) cut the tenon off and do a pocket hole joint; 4) if I have enough material I might do a through mortise and tenon and use decorative wedges; 5) I could recut the piece

There are a number of factors that may impact which of the above solutions I use: 1) time; 2) cost; 3) available tools, in the above do I have a pocket hole jig or biscuit?; 4) what will look the best; 5) what provides the necessary structural integrity; 6) do I have extra wood/material?

All of the possible solutions are valid but there is no specific solution that is always correct and so the above can help you find the best solution based on your specific project and specific priorities.

I think solving design problems caused by someone's poor planning can be one of the most challenging types. Any time I see some unusual architectural feature good or bad in a magazine etc ,I keep a copy to help make my case for what should or should not be done...after I use them to help me decide.