Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

16 June 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've been extremely busy with the building project here at my house. We finally finished all the framing, roof framing, and getting it in the dry on late last Friday. I have about a million things I need to get done this week but especially true because the weather has been good enough for us to get things rolling once again. My hope is that the roof gets on this week as well as getting my driveway fixed. No time to waste today as I have to take the excavator back in just a few minutes so I don't have to pay another days rental. Busy, busy, busy....for me....Heating and air guy just called...he will be here today as well. I had a good Father's Day yesterday as the family took me out to my favorite Chinese restaurant. Back to the day job as well.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well...... Friday I decided to start a home roofing project. Failed to look at the forecast of 25+ MPH wind on Sat. Bad mistake on my part. Also not all my help showed up so, needless to say when we got everything wrapped up Sat. afternoon, I was glad, especially that no one got hurt.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Finally got the rest of the ceiling drywall hung in the new barn. 20 sheets on Saturday, made it to Menards 15 minutes before they closed to pick up the cellulose insulation blower. Sunday got 76 bags of insulation blown into the ceiling and had the blower returned before 1:00. Not bad considering we didn't start the blow in until 9:30. Still had some prep work to do before I could start. All in all not a bad weekend, but man am I glad I have a desk job. I needed to come back to work to rest up a little bit.
    Drew

Cleaned and waxed the surface of my recent Craigslist find; 8" jointer (Grizzly G0583). Checked and adjusted the cutting inserts, and dialed in the fence to a crisp right angle. No real lumber on hand to test it on yet except for some KD fir 2x4. But that 2x4 looks furniture grade now I also added a Woodstock dust collection port to the bottom of my tablesaw (a contractor style 2hp Grizzly G1022ZF), and then tested both with a Jet DC1100A 1-1/2 hp dust collector that I've "souped up" with with a Wynn filter and Thien style baffle. I still need to build cabinets so I can set up the bench top gear (drill press, planer, and grinder), but the back of my garage is starting to feel like a real shop.

Celebrated Pop's Day by going out to breakfast with my two daughters (23 and 21) on Sunday. Then we followed daughter #1 to the art museum she works at to catch a new exhibit.

And, to work off the breakfast...as well as several others from the past few years, I bought a new hybrid style bicycle (Fuji Absolute) that was on sale over the weekend. Now the LOML and I can spend time exploring the side roads in our neck of the woods.

Life is good
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 06-16-2014 at 9:08 AM.

Saturday morning I continued my chair project by building a jig to help hold the curved rails for the back steady as I make the tenons on them. The rest of Saturday was spent at a girls' softball tournament and later at a shrimp boil. Sunday, in between church and a get-together for Father's Day, I installed ironwork window boxes and threw together some wood inserts so my wife could plant in them.
    Chuck Taylor

Replaced a new light fixture at my daughters (one of the new ones came with rust on it). Also started working on fixing the trim on the picture windows in her front room. Previous owner of the home was a marble guy (installed stone for a living). So he replaced all the window sills in the house with marble. I'm undoing that.

Aside from the normal weekend equestrian activities, the lawn got mowed and the herb garden got weeded. (with some additional plants added) And yes, I did get in the shop for awhile on Saturday to mill the material for the lid for the current tack trunk project as well as to install the drawer lock. I hope to finish up all construction and move on to finishing next weekend.

And it was a pleasant 8th Fathers Day for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I worked on the jointer assembly and it is almost completed. just need to install knives and make final adjustments.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    Saturday was a mix of woodworking, housework and World Cup. All tye activities fall into when the pain killers have kicked in but you're not incoherent. I spent a fair bit of time cooking and clean-up in the kitchen. I watched a few of the world cup games. I couldn't believe how badly Uraguay played. The Dutch took Spain to the woodshed in the rematch from four years ago. I spent a fair bit of time grain matching some curly walnut I acquired for my current project. It was then time to break down the stock and resaw to thickness. I got 1/2" clean stock from the show face. The offcuts yielded 1/4" thins for some future projects. They got stickered for the night. I'll glue-up the panel today. If I was't recuperating, this would be a pretty poor output. As it is I felt a good sense of accomplishment.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Spent most of the weekend laid up, was able to help a friend out though. Our housekeeper / friend from church has an older Toyota pickup with one of those camper shells on the back, the rivets for the bracket on the hatch hinge blew out, so I drilled them free and installed new rivets. Oddly enough, I used a Harbor Freight cordless drill, HF drill bits (freebies), HF rivets, and HF riveter... I think this is the first job I did start to finish from Harbor Freight...

On Sunday afternoon, some friends from church clued me in to the TENS therapy for Sciatica, I have been trying it, and although it is no miracle cure, it sure is helping!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

It rained here all weekend, tough to believe in the NW so I pretty much hung out in the shop working on the "V" table and watching World Cup and the US Open. "V" client stopped by Sat and we finalized more design details. Completed the extension glue-ups and slab assemblies (Shawn, it turned out even better than we could have fantasized thanks to the addition to the shop of a gloat worthy, CL slightly used, free standing Grizzley spindle sander ($360)). I am really pleased with the joint quality and the client is in heaven. Hope the pinned tenons do their job over time and the mating joints stay tight, couldn't slip a piece of paper in them.
    Phone coversations with my kids on Dad's Day. Daughter lives in Phoenix and son on Maui so no up close and personal get-to-gethers but that's the logical result of raising them to be independent. Their remote locations make for great winter vacation destinations. All in all, a very nice and productive weekend.

All I made this weekend was a mess.

photo-137.jpg

But at least I didn't need to go to the gym.

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Glad to hear the table is coming together. Let us know when you are done.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Rode to the North Rim. Purdy country out thatta way.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I've been kicking this wall cabinet around my shop for months in various stages and finally got around to ordering the glass for it

photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg