Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: As a brand name, how do you view Ridgid?

As a brand name, how do you view Ridgid?

I never thought of the Ridgid brand of power tools as being all that great.
    After getting both a jointer and a table saw though, my take on Ridgid as a brand name has been very positive.

I'm very tempted to switch over from DeWalt cordless to Ridgid if/when the time comes due to the lifetime service agreement on the batteries.

What say you?
    Am I setting myself up for a disappointment or is it a wise move?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have been very pleased with the Ridgid tools that I have. Plus the lifetime battery replacement is great.

My three experiences have been very good. Oscillating Spindle Sander. 14 inch Band Saw, and Narrow Crown Stapler. The warranty covered the replacement of a drive component on the sander. I had to install the part sent at no charge, but it was straight forward. Other parts might not be so easy to install, but at least the parts are free. I believe some or all of the Ridgid tools are built by Emerson.

The tools I've used (couple drills) seem to be good tools, but what worries me is what happens when the wind shifts and Home Depot decides to get a lower bidder to make their tools? I guess the same could be said about the red/white/yellow/blue companies changing battery design or whatever, but there's so many good options out there that aren't tied to a single retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The tools I've used (couple drills) seem to be good tools, but what worries me is what happens when the wind shifts and Home Depot decides to get a lower bidder to make their tools? I guess the same could be said about the red/white/yellow/blue companies changing battery design or whatever, but there's so many good options out there that aren't tied to a single retailer.
    I don't know how likely that is. I've seen Ridgid in HD stores for a long time. Besides, if not Ridgid and Jorgensen, where would they source BORG orange tools?
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The industrial mechanical line is phenomenal as it always has been. The namesake line at HD is a feather in the wind as Matt eluded to. It's only as good as HD's profit margin allows. It's clear that ridgid has no contractual say in the quality being attributed to their namesake. They are likely just cashing an hefty annual check.

I dont, and wouldn't, own any but have many of their industrial/commercial tools.

I buy their small electrical tools (sanders, drills, circular saws, etc.) and view them as above average for quality at a very competitive price.

I just recently switched away from Rigids cordless line. IMO, they were a great value and took a real beating for years. Can't imagine HD will ever decide to diminish the quality. They definitely fit a niche. There are an awful lot of value minded pros out there using Rigid tools. Price wise they don't compete with the consumer stuff. It would be sorta stupid to turn Rigid into Ryobi's competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    I don't know how likely that is. I've seen Ridgid in HD stores for a long time. Besides, if not Ridgid and Jorgensen, where would they source BORG orange tools?
    Anyone can buy orange plastic--I've seen it being made. If anything the fact they've been doing it a long time increase the odds that they'll put it out for bid again at some point. And they just ditched the Jorgies...

This may not be the same class of tools, but my Ridgid pro press, copper pressing tool, and my Ridgid sewer rats have held up great for many years.

my tool repair guy loves them keeps him busy

Anytime you send in paper work for LSA, GET A CERTIFICATE OF MAILING from post office!!! It proves you sent in paper work. Ask me, I know! One World Tech., maker of ridgid hand tools is VERY GOOD at losing paper work. Without out COM, it's your word against theirs, and YOU LOSE! I had COM, when they told me I never sent in paper work. I own five of the 12V LI drills and love then. Have had batteries replaced several times. Now HD (ten miles away) replaces them on the spot.

I had my drill and driver set for 5 years and had to get new battries twice already. Anyone want 18-24 volt ridgit skill saw worst $125 ever spent.

14. Yeah, what Bruce said. They are said to be quite slippery about honoring the battery replacement offer.

I'm using Bosch Li-on now. The 12v format is a good value and the batteries are not too costly to replace. Still have a Milwaukee ni-cad for heavier work.

In terms of the woodworking machinery, the Ridgid tools seem solid and competitively priced. Pretty similar to the better Craftsman models I think... same manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The industrial mechanical line is phenomenal as it always has been. The namesake line at HD is a feather in the wind as Matt eluded to. It's only as good as HD's profit margin allows. It's clear that ridgid has no contractual say in the quality being attributed to their namesake. They are likely just cashing an hefty annual check.

I dont, and wouldn't, own any but have many of their industrial/commercial tools.
    What you are saying isn't true. If you register a tool bought at Home Depot for Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement, you go to a Ridgid website and create a Ridgid customer service account. Home Depot isn't involved other than to provide a link to the Ridgid web page. If you expect Ridgid to be in business and support their commercial and industrial tools, then you can also expect them to honor the LSA of tools bought at Home Depot.