Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Are Your Expectations?....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Since Delta also owns Dewalt and a number of other brands, I plan on staying away from them as well.
    That is incorrect. The previous 2 owners (B&D, Stanley B&D) of the Delta brand owned Dewalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That is incorrect. The previous 2 owners (B&D, Stanley B&D) of the Delta brand owned Dewalt.
    I may be mistaken, but from the call and the web page, I had the impression that Delta and Dewalt had the same owners. Thanks for the correction.

How about I give you a $50 refund or $50 worth of credit fortools on our website.Www.carbideprocessors.com

I suppose I’m doing this for the same reason you fixed thatguy’s cabinets.Some of us were just taught the concept thatif you see something wrong then you should fix it if you can. (As with all philosophical concepts this getsa lot deeper.)

And then there’s the fact that helping people is what we do.About half the people who call have a real problem and need either the righttool or a better tool. We had up helping a fair percent of those withoutselling them anything.We do sell enoughof them to keep the doors open and the children fed.

Part of it is that the woodworking tool industry has a goodreputation over all for customer service and honesty.I would like to see that continue.

I think Brian Tymchak pretty well nailed the situation.One of the things we have to teach our newcustomer service reps is that they can and should spend money to take care ofthe customer.We call it the $50 rule.Essentially anyone who answers the phone canspend $50 or more if needed to take care of the customer.This covers a lot of replacement parts, rushshipping and so on.

The tool industry is full of small companies that give greatcustomer service.Someone starts abusiness, sells quality at fair prices, works their rear off, and really takescare of their customers.After manyyears of hard work, they have a successful company. Then some giant buys them and immediatelymakes changes to pay for the buyout.Typicallythis is lower quality, less service, a narrower selection and similar.I have been in the tool business since 1981and seen this pattern repeatedly.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

If it was 10 months ago, it's on them. After 10 years, it's on you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    The "statute of limitations" may or may not be relevant, depending on whether or not such considerations have actual legal force in the case of rebates submitted in a timely fashion. Once the OP submitted the rebate paperwork, the entire onus on fulfillment falls upon the company, not the customer. His failure to follow up can only be considered with regards to any damages
    A statute of limitations basically requires claims to be pursued within a set period of time after they mature. Having submitted a valid rebate is a precondition to having a claim, but that isn't the issue. The legal claim would have matured one day after whatever date they said they would pay the rebate in (e.g., the fine print about when to expect a check). So he's been sleeping on his claim since whenever that date was, and a statute of limitation would certainly be relevant to his ability to pursue a legal remedy. You also authoritatively state that his failure to follow up would only be considered with regard to damages, but that isn't the way I understand damages to work.

things like this is why Sears no longer replaces tape measures. People will inherently try to game the system.
    Last edited by johnny means; 06-18-2014 at 7:34 AM.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Wanna buy a great Delta plant????
    There's one for sale here in Tupelo, MS.
    What a shame that a great brand has now turned to the Asian generic stuff.
    Wanna buy some Delta parts? Hahahaha!!!!
    Bill
    Parts are pretty easy to get. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...FZJS7AodLDxJHg

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    My first jointer was a Delta X 6" .. I bought it for $599.. It was during a promotion where you could pick one of 4 free gifts. I picked the 690LR Router. It arrived. That was probably about 12 years ago ?

I would not hold it against Delta if they didn't give you the $50 .. You can push them into it .. they might do it but I wouldn't feel good about it. They had a responsibility to pay you .. you had a responsibility to inform them in a reasonable time if they didn't.. Maybe the post man stole your drill ? Who knows.. its over now.

I wouldn't buy Delta tools because you will probably never get parts.. but I wouldn't hold the rebate against them .. lol
    Parts?
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...FZJS7AodLDxJHg

Sure its easy to find catalogs of parts. Try to actually get a part. Most parts not discontinued (and the list of those is quite long) is on indefinite backorder.

I had some siding work done by a company several years ago and it had a 100%, no hassle warranty. If anything needed work in the future they would come and fix it at no charge. Four years later I did end up having a spot where a section of soffit came loose and it gapped enough for animals to get through. After calling to see what they could do, they said they were under new ownership and were not liable to honor the "old" warranties. The company however is allowed to keep the name, a name that has been around almost 90 years. There's an element of deception here.

I went to the BBB website and observed an F rating. I wasn't the only one with this complaint.
    It's risky saying no to a customer when you consider how easy it is to tell people about it, but if companies operate in similiar ways, it can't hurt that much. Laws are made to favor the business so we have to plan accordingly.
    Last edited by jeff shanz; 06-18-2014 at 6:06 PM.

Really? I don't think that you'll ever be a happy person. You missed the boat by ten years and now the problem is Delta's? Wow.

I guess I don't see this as Delta issue. The fulfillment company dropped the ball. The paperwork went to that company, not Delta. How would Delta even know if you were paid. They are not going to sent out $50 to someone who says he didn't get his rebate. Delta may have well paid the fulfillment company, who didn't pay you. This is not a warranty issue or issue with a part, it is not a customer service issue to me. Maybe the post office lost the paperwork, who knows. But after 10 years it is unreasonable IMO to think any company would honor a rebate.

Tom

I appreciate the offer. At this point the only tool I really have my eye on a Saw Stop which is a little over the $50.

I am sure you will continue to prosper in business because the attitude you show to customers earns their business each and every day.