Thread: Drawers for bunk bed?

Drawers for bunk bed?

Hey folks,

Finishing up the bunk bed below for my boys. I was thinking about stretching by adding some drawers to the bottom. I'm a beginner so I was hoping for some advice on the best way to do that.

It is 70" from post to post (width) so that would leave approx. 35" each drawer if I went with two. I was thinking I could attach a two by four to the bottom of the rail in the front and another to one of the slats (not pictured below) as a support for the drawer slides. Does that make sense?

Is that the best way to go?

Thanks!

Nathan

small.jpg

Why attach drawer supports to the bed slats? You could attach all of the drawer supports to the bed rails. The mattress-support slats are often sized to flex a little bit, to add some spring to the bed.

And an alternative to drawers you might consider would be storage boxes with casters that would roll under the bed.

On the last bed I built, I put one large drawer in the middle, recessed in a few inches to hide it. I didn't want it visible. It seemed to work well, and the customer loved it. If I recall it was a 42 inch drawer centered in the bed. I second the opinion to attach to the rails and not the slats. I found some slides for large bins for cabinets at Rockler that worked very well

Hey Jamie,

I'm confused about how that would work? (drawer supports on the bed rails). Could you elaborate please? How would the drawer supports attach to the drawers from the top etc?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by steven taggart View Post
    On the last bed I built, I put one large drawer in the middle, recessed in a few inches to hide it. I didn't want it visible. It seemed to work well, and the customer loved it. If I recall it was a 42 inch drawer centered in the bed. I second the opinion to attach to the rails and not the slats. I found some slides for large bins for cabinets at Rockler that worked very well
    The drawers will be under the bed. To mount the slides to the rails wouldn't the slides have to attach to the top of the drawer? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Sanders View Post
    The drawers will be under the bed. To mount the slides to the rails wouldn't the slides have to attach to the top of the drawer? Or am I missing something?
    There would be 2x4s or whatever running from bed rail to bed rail, below the rails. I'd mount them with the 3.5" dimension vertical. The slides would screw to them.