Thread: OLD Jet JJ6 80s?

OLD Jet JJ6 80s?

I have been disappointed with the performance of my Delta 37-190 on my current workbench project. It has been decent up to this point but when jointing 5"X5" table legs I noticed the fence moving from cut to cut and when I stopped to evaluate, I can move the angle of the fence by hand when it is locked tightly.
    this machine has been fine for most of my projects aside from the 6" limitation. I don't have space right now for 8" as much as I'd like to go that route. I simply have lost trust in this delta and dont want to have to think about the fence moving on large pieces of wood going through it.

an old Jet JJ6 popped up for $300, I am tempted to grab it in hopes of it being more solid (overall but esp. in the fence) than my open stand-delta. It does have the adjustment wheels as opposed to the lever arm on the delta.
    Mainly I am wondering if the fence is the same design as my delta, is anyone familiar with these?
    I could probably recoup $200 for the delta and net -100 for the upgrade.
    here is the photo
    jet1.jpgjet2.jpg
    thanks for any input!

For what it's worth, I had an issue with the fence moving on my Grizzly 513 band saw. I could move it side-to-side with medium pressure. I briefly considered upgrading to their better fence, but couldn't be sure if that would have the same issue.

I applied some rubber tape to the underside of the fence's clamping mechanism, and it stays put much better now.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I had the Powermatic version of the JJ6. Never had any problems with the fence staying put.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The fence on the JJ6 I had warped over time, so I suggest you check that before purchasing. Other than that I never had any problems with it for the 15 or more years I owned it.

the main kicker seems to be the lack of dust chute. from someone else's photos here the fence does look a bit weakly supported on the back side.

thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-19-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Removed active forum link per TOS